Prayers For My Grandma -- Pancreatic Cancer

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by ChikeeMomma, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I'd like prayers for my Grandma, please. She was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer this week. She will be 83 in June. She is very active and even still works full-time at the family excavating business as the office manager (just as she has since the business started 61 years ago). I know that this type of cancer is very painful and extremely fast moving. She is not telling us how long the doctor has given her to live and I don't blame her. I don't believe that the oncologist thinks that treatment would be that effective for her -- still waiting to hear more on that. I'd appreciate prayers to lift her up and if you've had any experience with this type of cancer in your life, I'd love to hear! Thank you soooo much!

2. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

So, so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

3. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    My prayers are with your grandma and your family.

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

My mom had this type of cancer; and she didn't have a lot of pain. She just said she was "uncomfortable". She was gone within a month of finding out, but had been feeling down for almost a year, so it had been "working" on her. So sorry to hear this; enjoy the time you have with your grandma. Ask questions, WRITE down the stories, any recipes or anything you want as a legacy . . .someday they will be the most precious thing you may have.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My son's MIL was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer just before Thanksgiving. She was in her late 80's and opted for no treatment. She also succumbed to this disease within a month's time. She had very little pain and basically just slept for the last week prior to her passing. Prayers are offered up for your Grandma and your family.[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Unfortunately, pancreatic cancer does not really respond to chemo and the surgery is very risky and not usually done. Typically, the studies say someone has about 6 months from diagnosis, but that is if it has not spread. 2-3 months is usually what I've seen.

Spend as much time with her as you can and enjoy what time she does have left. And if she does get sicker, I highly recommend Hospice care. Those people are fabulous.

Good luck and very sorry to hear.

7. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Thanks for the prayers!

WhisperingWinds -- thanks for the info. This gives me much hope. The pain she may experience is what has me the saddest at this moment. I am glad to hear that your mom didn't experience the pain -- Grandma is saying that she feels uncomfortable, too, but not unbearable at all. The oncologist was surprised that she didn't want any pain meds yet and told her that she must have a high threshold for pain. My grandma had slowly been losing weight for the past year (just thought she'd been being more careful with what she ate) and within the past month it had started coming off at a much quicker rate and has had issues with eating for at least the past month (maybe longer). They now have a suggested food plan for her so that she won't feel as uncomfortable. I am hoping to get my cousins together for a sleepover at Grandma's just like when we were growing up next weekend.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    What are really the signs of Pancreatic cancer? I know some would say not eating, having no pain, weight losses.........umph! One can dismiss it as IBS or stomach ailments or overproduction of bile (in my case when the blood tests came back but I have NO gallbladder). I honestly didn't think that type of cancer would exist in anyone of the age of 60 to 80 years old. I am assuming that pancreatic cancer existed at any age. [​IMG]

Wish you the best and may your Grandma live her life to the fullest. [​IMG] Enjoy your time with her, write or record any stories she would share of her family, how her childhood was and take some pictures of her before she gets too bad. [​IMG]

9. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Prayers Said [​IMG] My Grandmother just turned 85, she is my last living grandparent. The fact that your Grandmother is still working at 83 is a testament to what kind of person she is, that is amazing! Enjoy the time with her, make the most of it.

10. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Chikee your gramma is in my prayers. Bless her at the age of 83. My mom died at 84 years old in 2005, two weeks after I got married. Not a good year! But you know what, you will be with her again one day IF she passes on! Cause we all know that even a doctor cannot say precisely when someone will go. So I pray for a healing for gramma right here and now, and the Lord be with her. You take care sweetie. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by