Praying for a farm

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BirdBrain, May 23, 2008.

1. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I haven't been on much lately due to getting the kids finished up on school and trying to plan the coming year (we homeschool) AND trying to keep the house in top shape as we put it on the market 2.5 weeks ago. I think I am going to go insane. The day after it went on the market we had one real estate agent come by, but nothing since then.

My DH and I (and the kids) have been wishing and praying for a farm for over a year. After discussions at my DH's work, it seems that as far as they can tell he will not be transferred any time soon, so we decided that it would be a good time to put the house up for sale and start looking for a farm. I realize that with the housing market the way it is that this is not an ideal time for us to sell. However it is at the end of a school year and the time families usually look to move with jobs and such.

We found a lovely 6 acre place not far from where we live (about 20 miles) and it would still be commutable for my DH. The rub is that until we have an offer on this house we don't feel we can make an offer on anything. The house is perfect...very allergy and asthma friendly with all hard surface floors and it has a enormous kitchen. We would have to build an air conditioned room in the barn (it is 2 years old and has a concrete floor already) for a school room. I could finally have the chickens, ducks, geese and Dexter cows that I have been longing for. Raising meat birds for the last 2 years (at my folks ranch) has just made me want this all the more.

Would those of you who have a mind to, please pray with us about this? We have an open house coming up on Sunday afternoon. Also, anyone want to live in North Houston (Spring) ? We have a single story home that is 4 years old. It has no carpet, non-smokers and and is in a truly terrific neighborhood.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Praying for your open house to net you a buyer so you can have your farm!!!

3. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    Good morning Bird, we sold our house in the city last year and moved onto 2 1/4 acres...an acreage has always been a dream of mine....wish we could have done it while I was younger though...lot of work! but love it!
    I just wanted to say that while our house was for sale it was hell some days....keeping the house looking walk through perfect....teenagers - friends - dog - cat - just general day to day cleaning wasn't enough to have the house look great 24x7!
    I had calls from realtors parked outside "can we come in?"
    those were the ones that kept me on my toes!...open houses I could deal with...you know when...and can leave for the few hours.
    I don't want to go through all that again...I just would remind yourself "this is temporary"! lol
    I hope your house sells really really quickly for you!
    Excited for you too moving onto an acreage....our acreage is too small for my chicken addiction rofl. Go Big!
    All the best to you and yours.

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Thanks Susan and Caroline!! Yes, I know that this is "temporary" but it seems like an eternity. [​IMG] You see, the last 2 houses we sold were sold (1) within 12 hours of listing and (2) before it went on the market. I know those were both such a God thing, and there is no reason to think any different about this.

We are praying that this open house will net us a buyer as well. My kids are 10, 9, and 7 and busy trying to keep me on my toes. One really good thing about all this is that my daughter has decided that she prefers for her room to be neat and clean and enjoys being in there. PTL!! My sons are a different story. They are trying, but...well...they are boys. [​IMG]

Thanks again!!

5. greentree

greentree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Good luck on the open house!!! Six acres won't be big enough!!! Move to Brenham!! It's only 50 miles! So what if gas is $10 a gallon....we could hitch the clydesdale to go to town to run our errands....everyone would think we were a cult!!!
    You can go pet Dexters any time you want at my brother's house; you pass it every time you go up Gosling to the Woodlands....

Nancy

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Been there, done that. Our house was up for sale for two years. Nice house, nice neighbourhood. We had an offer on one house that wasn't my dream house, but it would do. No offers on our house. Lost that house. A year later, we found this place. And within two days of putting an offer on this house, we sold ours.

even with the few problems we have encountered here, it is my prayers answered. Everything on one floor (important to someone with arthritis), three acres, shop for hubby, barn for me.

during the two years it took us to find this place, it was very frustrating. God knew what we wanted, and He found it for us--on His timetable--not ours.

things will come together. Keep the faith!

7. cantley2003

cantley2003 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Sanford, fl
    Prayer coming your way, that God's will for your family will come quickly.

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My prayers are that God will open the doors for the right house at the right time for your family. I know how hard it is to wait ... especially when it appears that you found the right house and yours is still ... well, yours.

I am a country girl through and through and it took us 17 years to be able to afford to move to the country! I love it and thank God everyday for this blessing.

I'm praying that the right person will come through this weekend and make you that offer you just can't refuse. [​IMG]

9. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    Just said a prayer for your family.

10. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

It will work out the way it is supposed to. If you don't get this dream place, it is because it isn't the dream place you think it is. This may be the place for you, but if it isn't, your place is out there. (But praying that this is the one!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by