Praying to the Egg Gods....Please send an egg to my Barney

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fasschicks, Dec 18, 2013.

1. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    My poor Barnavelder girl (6 months old) has been squatting hard for 6 weeks and has been checking out the nesting box quite a bit in the past month. A couple days a week (for the past month), I see her nesting and arranging everything for herself, but she comes out with no egg.

She seems happy and very healthy otherwise, but just can't seem to get that first egg going. I don't see any eggs in the run or coop other than the nesting box and I know the 3 girls who are laying those eggs.

So, if you could please send some good egg laying vibes to my Barney girl. She is working so hard and hope that she is rewarded with her first egg and chicken song (which I am sure is going to rock the coop)!

Fass

2. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Awe, that's so sweet. She's getting herself all ready for the big event. It sounds like it should be really soon! [​IMG]

3. fasschicks

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    Thanks, chicksurreal! I hope so - she is very determined. I thought if maybe I put this request out into the universe, something might happen.

4. CasadasHens

CasadasHens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    I am all for putting requests out to the Universe... I'll add to yours, good luck!

5. fasschicks

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    Thanks, CasadasHens! I think if she doesn't lay an egg soon, her pretty little head just might explode. [​IMG]

6. CasadasHens

CasadasHens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    Oh dear, that's worse than an exploding egg! [​IMG]

7. IloveBuffy

IloveBuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2013
    Hope she lays soon! I have an EE who didn't lay 'till she was about a year old.

8. fasschicks

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    I am still trying to figure out if my Barney has started to lay. For the last 2 to 3 months she has been squatting really hard and has a very red comb and wattle. I have only 3 brown egg layers and I have never had 3 brown eggs in the nest at one time. The picture below shows three different brown eggs, but not sure if one bird could lay 2 different eggs. The egg on the right is definitely from my Giant Jersey/silky mix. The one on the left is definitely from my Dominique. But the one in the center is where I am confused. 1 to 2 times a week I see my Barney on the nest, but when she leaves there is no egg. Ever. Don't know what happens when I am at work, though . Could my Dominique be laying the middle egg also? I am not sure if the speckles can show up on one egg but not another from the same bird. Any suggestions? Or expertise?

It just confuses me that there are never 3 brown eggs in the nest at 1 time.

Fass

[​IMG]

9. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    The egg in the middle looks like one of my Barnevelders eggs. Most of mine lay eggs with spots. The spots can vary. Sometimes there are a lot, sometimes hardly any. Once in awhile no spots at all. I only have Barnies & Speckled Sussex and there is a big difference in their eggs. So it's easy for me to tell the difference. I remember my Barnies took a long time testing those nest boxes before finally laying! The first Barnie to lay was so funny. Heard her screaming from the house. I ran out there just sure they were being attacked only to find Coco racing around like her feathers were on fire! Poor girl finally stood stock still & out came the egg. All the other girls gathered to inspect it! Poor Coco. After all that nest prep time she just got hysterical! But that was the last time anyone layed in the yard! Coco is blue & rest are traditionally dark and for some reason she's always been a drama queen! Good luck with your hen!! Sounds like she's getting close!!

10. fasschicks

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    Well, I think it finally happened. I went in to check on the girls tonight and found this tiny little egg in the wet/thawing run. It is the tinyest chicken egg I have ever seen. It is much darker than any of my other brown layers.my Barney walked around so proud!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yes, that is a garlic stuffed olive! she is 10 months old now and it has seemed like forever for her to lay her first egg. :weee

Fass

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by