1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pre-1965 Coins for Eggs?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mattemma, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I was thinking about mentioning to my neighbors that instead of $1-$2 dollars for a dozen I would be happy accept a lesser amount if they gave me pre-1965 coins (which have silver in them). Question is what amount of coins is a good trade value?

On a side note I am frustrated that our country decided to start making coins with no actual value.Why did they do this?I have to research it. It frustrates me to realise that the money we use really has no value at all-only that which we give it.

It is just monopoly play money!Now we are getting to the point where you often don't even see the *play* money. Your check gets deposited into a bank by work,and you pay your bills online or by check.You never actually have any of it in your hands. I wish I had known when I was young about the silver in coins. I would have started saving the REAL money long ago.

So anyway....what would you charge in pre-1965 coinage for a dozen eggs? I suppose it will vary since the cost of eggs will vary in each location....or maybe it won't when you are trading in silver??? I don't know what to ask for.

2. theotherranch

theotherranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    Since most of the coins you will see will probably be "circulation" grade,showing normal wear, a silver dime is worth25/30 cents and a silver quater is worth around a dollar. And this assumes siver at about 35$/ounce. These values go up if the condition of the coin is better than circulation grade,but grading coins is not easy.
    I hope this helps!

3. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    http://coinflation.com/ Gives just the melt value on silver coins - and also the current coins for comparison.

4. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Are you selling at those prices? Get a big flat rate box, I'll pay shipping[​IMG].

Seriously, that's a great idea. Problem is none of my people would let go of their silver. I have traded eggs for ammunition, gasoline, motor oil, apples, steaks, beer, nails/nuts/bolts/screws/lumber, etc. I love to barter. Usually you can talk someone out of more of something they have extra of or don't need /want than cash money these days.

The country butcher across the road is my favorite egg customer. I get his mistake cuts (still good beef, lamb, pork etc, just not pretty steaks) and he stays well supplied with eggs.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by