Pre Approval for an Auto Loan?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Ya know kinda like getting a pre approved amount for a mortgage before shopping for a house? Is this something that is done? and if so how does one do this?

I just figure it would give the buyer(me) more leverage when it comes to shopping for the best price on a particular car.

2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I got one from USAA.

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:So this is something that is done. Cool.
    I have to start looking into this.

Thanks for the reply

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Yep, can be done.

I think your best bet nowadays is through a credit union though.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I get them in the mail all the time - pre-approved for $25K at this or that dealership.

6. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I sold cars for years. You have to watch, keep running your credit and it drops your score. Those preapproval notices do too. I finally got my name off their list. It's in the delerships best interest to get a good rate. If they run your credit, they get on the phone with different banks. Your credit is only run once as opposed to shopping around. If you have bad credit it might be a good idea, other than that I don't see the point.

7. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

Rhett&SarahsMom :

Ya know kinda like getting a pre approved amount for a mortgage before shopping for a house? Is this something that is done? and if so how does one do this?

I just figure it would give the buyer(me) more leverage when it comes to shopping for the best price on a particular car.

[​IMG] [​IMG] no loan no loan see sig below go to web site no loan no loan.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  8. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    My credit union does pre-approved loans for vehicles. The point of it is that you have more leverage with the money in hand (so to speak) than you do if the dealership shops around for you.

Those pre-approval letters or "checks" they send in the mail are just a scam to get you in the door. They still have to shop you around, those are just sent using your mailing address , nothing more. Sure anyone is pre-approved... read the fine print on the offer. They'll sell anyone a car.... it's just that if your credit sux you'll pay a much higher interest rate on that "pre-approved loan" than you will if it doesnt.

The best thing you can do is do your homework on car values, know what you are shopping for.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

We got "pre approved" for a mortgage at one bank and they offered us this TERRIBLE deal.

We walked in another bank and got an AWESOME deal.

I don't think the pre-approvals mean anything.

10. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Agree pre approvals mean nothing...............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by