PRE-broody? NO, full on broody! New ? post #12

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Dec 25, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    One of my SFs is acting strange. She's not quite 7 months old and she's been laying about a month.

She is out and about with the other chickens during the day but an hour or two before roost time she heads to her favorite nestbox and stays there. She growls at anyone that gets close to the box. My poor silkies! They are used to roosting on top of that particular box and I saw that they were very hesitant to jump up on it tonight because of her growls.

In the morning the SF will be out again. She hasn't pooped in the box overnight, so far. She just tucks her head and goes to sleep.

Being broody challenged I'm not sure about all this strange behavior from the young girls.

Is she trying to go broody or just confused about the whole laying an egg process?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Seems like she's a lazy broody. [​IMG] I doubt she'll be back on the nest again within a few days. But I bet this means that she'll be good in the future. It's very rare for a hen to go broody this soon after she's started laying.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Seems like she's a lazy broody. [​IMG] I doubt she'll be back on the nest again within a few days. But I bet this means that she'll be good in the future. It's very rare for a hen to go broody this soon after she's started laying.

I guess not too rare, since someone else has a thread going right now where their pullet just started laying this month (7 months old, like mine) and is now full on broody. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Both my broody girls hatched their chicks at 7 months, also. I didn't notice any "practicing" though - they just suddenly wouldn't get off the nest. And the chicks hatched 21 days after I noticed this behavior.

Because I work and not able to see them all the time except on weekends, they could have been fussing about before they finally decided Today's The Day To Stop Roosting.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks Linda [​IMG]

6. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Wouldn't that be just your luck. She wants to be like mercy. HAHA.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh they're all thinking about it. Almost every pullet in the baby coop, except the other meaties. I can see the look in their beady little eyes. [​IMG]

8. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Oh they're all thinking about it. Almost every pullet in the baby coop, except the other meaties. I can see the look in their beady little eyes. [​IMG]

LOL thats funny.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My pure Ameraucana went broody at 7 months.

Is she still laying? My light brahma will scream at other chickens that dare to bother the princess while she is laying an egg. But she doesn't sleep in the nest boxes. Maybe she wants to be a silkie?

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I don't know Happy. I don't know what I'm going to do with her. I think she's still laying. [​IMG]
    Everything is a mess today. I've been up all night with the stomach flu, DH is staying home from work to take care of me and the animals, but not it looks like he's getting the stomach flu too.
    We split up chores this morning. I took the adult coop, DH took the baby coop. He brought in 4 eggs from their coop. One was real tiny and had a small streak of blood on it - Jethro's or Ellie Mae's, I assume. DH said that the SF is still in the same nestbox. He didn't disturb her, but she growled at him when he got in the general direction of her box. So I don't know if there's any eggs under her or not.
    If she wants to go broody I'm going to have to give her some brahma eggs, but I don't know how many. She's awful tiny. Or at least, she and the others look real tiny to me compared to my brahmas at the same age. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by