pre-bumble foot?

carolinasculpture

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Hi! I am looking for some advise. We have 12 chickens right now. They have a converted pop-up camper as a coop and a 50'x50' run. So they are outside most of the time. Yesterday I was checking them over (try to do it at least once a month) and noticed that one of my leghorns (hen, about 3 years old) had a little dark scab on one of her feet. It looks very much like the posts about bumble foot, but her foot isn't swollen...at least not yet. Is this bumble foot? Should I go ahead and do some surgery? Or could this also just be from stepping on a thorn and will heal with out developing into bumble foot? Guess I have just been lucky this far, and haven't seen any scabs on the feet before. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

It depends, but it could be Bumblefoot. Swelling isn't always present, but that black scab on the bottom of the foot is a giveaway.

Tricide-Neo works well in early stages without surgery. Search this forum for instructions. It is a fish scale medicine that you use off-label and soak twice a day. It worked without surgery for my Golden Campine and with surgery for 2 other chickens.

Sharol
Hi! I am looking for some advise. We have 12 chickens right now. They have a converted pop-up camper as a coop and a 50'x50' run. So they are outside most of the time. Yesterday I was checking them over (try to do it at least once a month) and noticed that one of my leghorns (hen, about 3 years old) had a little dark scab on one of her feet. It looks very much like the posts about bumble foot, but her foot isn't swollen...at least not yet. Is this bumble foot? Should I go ahead and do some surgery? Or could this also just be from stepping on a thorn and will heal with out developing into bumble foot? Guess I have just been lucky this far, and haven't seen any scabs on the feet before. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom