Pre-egg laying development signs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Momaha, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Momaha

Momaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Sooner Nation WWHQ
    I have piece mealed together through some other threads that just prior to laying my girls wattles and combs will more fully develop and turn red. Is this correct and are there any other development signs I should be looking for?

I have 10 White Leghorns and they will be 13 weeks on Monday.

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Yes, the comb and wattles will get huge and red, especially on Leghorns.

Other things to look for include:

"Squatting" (although squatting may be rare in flighty Mediterranean breeds like Leghorns, IDK).

Checking out the nest boxes and making a bowl shape in the nesting material (if you see the bowl shape, eggs will be coming VERY soon!).

Measurement between the pin bones (located on either side and slightly below the vent).

If you have a rooster, he'll prefer to breed the close-to-laying hens.

When they're about 15 weeks old start looking and making sure that they aren't laying in a hidden corner or something like that! Sometimes they prefer a hidden private spot over their nest boxes. [​IMG]

3. mylegger

mylegger Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    With my Leghorn, she started squatting about 3 days prior to laying an egg. Her comb was large and it flopped over too. She started at 15/16 weeks old. I'm sure you'll have lots of eggs once they get going![​IMG]

4. RCMomto4

RCMomto4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    About two weeks ago a few (I have five girls) of them would squat and freeze if you came up behind them. A week ago they all did it and just three days ago I got my first egg!!! Two hens must be laying because I've been gettting two eggs a day since! It was SO exciting! LOL!! Now, to find out who is laying!

5. Momaha

Momaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Sooner Nation WWHQ
    Quote:Thanks for the info! I can't wait to have eggs!

6. kjfrogster41

kjfrogster41 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Belfast, ME
    Okay, it's the end of December, my 3 girls are in an enclosed pen that right now, only gets some artificial light. They are just 19 weeks. As far as I know, they should not be laying at this time of year? However, one of my hens keeps going to hunker down in one of the nest boxes. She has been VERY quiet. The other two seem concerned and have been standing guard over her. They keep clucking at her. She isn't not interested at all in eating and this is the one who can easily out eat the other two. This behavior was a bit noticeable yesterday. Today much more pronounced. Her eyes look bright, her comb and wattles are bright red, she has been having normal poos but keeps puffing up her vent feathers. Help! Is it time for me to find a Vet that knows chicken health?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by