Pre-egglaying song???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Minniechickmama, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco 8 Years

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have some Norwegian Jaerhons who are 16-weeks. My research tells that they are early layers. Their combs and wattles are getting bigger and redder all of the sudden, so I am assuming it will start soon. If I could catch the crazy things I could check their bottoms and bones to see how close they are, but they fly like crazy and are pretty skiddish birds. So, the question is, do any of you find that your girls start "singing" (the kind of singing only a mother chicken owner can love) BEFORE they lay their first egg? One of the NJ girls was digging a little nest hole in the pen yesterday and squawking up a storm. Any input fellow OCDers?

2. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Songster

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    I got my first 2 eggs Wednesday and Thursday, and my girls were definitely 'chattier' than usual. They are Red Stars, also 16 weeks old. I noticed last weekend that they were making lots of noise, not quite the egg song, but still very loud. A few other birds are getting louder and squawking a lot, so I think that they too will start laying in the very near future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: