Pre-Incubation Care of Goose Eggs

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Alaskan Dragonfly, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Alaskan Dragonfly

Alaskan Dragonfly Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    Big Lake, Alaska
    I'm going to give 6 goose eggs to a friend to see how well they hatch. I want to save up all 6 eggs to give her at the same time, but I can't leave them in the nest or they will freeze. I usually manage to collect them withing 5-10 minutes of her laying them and bring them into the house. How should I care for the eggs from the time I get them from the nest to the time I give them to her?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. servpolice

servpolice Songster

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Well since the eggs will survive till about day 12-14 if kept in perfect conditions ! So if you get a egg from one goose everyother day you will have 6 eggs in 12 days.
    So all you have to do is grab egg and place it in a towel and cover an other towel over it and put it in a cool dry place and in a darkish area ,and everyday turn the eggs on the opposite side :)

3. Alaskan Dragonfly

Alaskan Dragonfly Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    Big Lake, Alaska
    Thank you! I wasn't sure if I should turn them or not!

4. servpolice

servpolice Songster

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Just everyday once thats what i do and works perfect

5. mominoz

mominoz Songster

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Holderreads book says to put them in a cool place 50-60degrees is best and they even mention the percentages that hatch kept at lower or higher temps, it can range from 25-75%...He suggest like a crawl space (which I use or the corner of my garage near the floor), put in a container, often big end up and cover ,He suggested you put in paper bags inside a largeplastic bag or bin to keep the moisture loss down... I do this and set a weeks worth at once....don't forget to allow them to come to room temp for a couple hours before you put in incubator because sudden temp change may cause a rupture....

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: