Pre-K class wants to know what kind these are

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Momagain1, May 9, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    TIA everyone!

I do get my first pick of ANY of the chicks; but I'm terrified I'll pick all Roos; which we DONT want...

about 10 more have cracks/holes where they are coming out and the others are moving around..so I expect them to have a fantastic hatch rate; so that means I get to pick from about 30 chicks...

also; I get the ones "left over" from the other 2 ppl who have said they'd take them..One family I doubt follows through; they already have 4 and the town limit is 2 lol..

anyway; here are pics of the ones that hatched today; they took them out of the incubator while they were kinda wet; so please dont yell at me.. lol I didnt do it!

pics:

[​IMG]

dark brown w/a reddish tint; almost burnt sienna looking:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fluffy yellow:

[​IMG]

bad pic; this one is weird; it has greyish, brownish, almost old manish looking fuzz:

[​IMG]

2 with Stripes on back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

black/white one:

[​IMG]

2. can't tell by just looking at them. do you know how to feather sex?

3. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    no I dont...

I thought each breed was different in the way of feather sexing??

and since I didnt know the breed by looking (some ppl here are amazingly good at that lol just not me!)..the feather sexing would be lost on me ..but I'm always
    willing to learn!

4. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    Just by looks alone.. I love the chick in the second picture!

5. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Quote:ME TOO!!! I'd love to know what he/she is..so I know if we can keep it!!

6. Quote:i've heard you can feather sex any breed

this video is helpful with feather sexing-

7. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    will check that out later when I can pay more attention to it; kids r running/in/out... :)

I think if I can find out the breed and possibly the gender by feather sexing; I'll have to figure out a way to mark the ones I want; so I dont
    mess up LOL

8. Quote:oh, most of them are EE btw, not all of them though, i think

9. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Quote:You can only sex breeds that are bred for it(slow feathering gene carrying male crossed over fast feathering gene carrying female), and that varies from strain to strain as well within a breed. For example hatchery white leghorns are feather sexable, exhibition stock from breeders are not in most cases.
    SO barnyard mutts a most like not feather sexable at all.

Your chickies look like barnyard mixes to me, I don't even see any EEs or anything. Cute whatever they are!

10. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:i've heard you can feather sex any breed

this video is helpful with feather sexing-

Nope that video is missleading,hatcheries breed a slow feathering breed to a fast feathering breed to be able to feather sex.Unless you know what the breed/mix is feather sexing will not work.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKFeathSex.html

The breeder flock for the female line must be slow feathering only, and the breeder flock for the male line must be fast feathering only. To breed for the chicks you would then cross the slow feathering females with the fast feathering males. The resulting offspring would be the opposite of their parents. Females fast feathering and the males slow feathering.

Last edited: May 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by