Pre-laying behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lesliejean, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Lesliejean

Lesliejean Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    I have a 7 month old buff orpington hen. She seems to have just started laying. Each time she gets ready, she goes to the nest and will peck and circle, then pant heavily. The other hen stays downstairs in the coop and hollers loudly. When she finally lays the egg, she continues breathing with her mouth open and will drink a ton of water. Is this typical? Thanks for your help!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Panting can be from pain, fear, or temperature (too hot). It may be that she is nervous about being in the nest box. Or maybe it is hurting her to lay a large egg and she is worried about it.

3. Lesliejean

Oct 9, 2013
    Thank you. Should I be concerned or will she work her way out of it?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes I would be concerned about her because if she is having a hard time passing her eggs one may become stuck (egg binding). I hope she will continue passing her eggs without problem.

I have never dealt with egg binding - but if it were me, I'd keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't walking like a penguin (one of the signs I have read) or acting ill in some other way.

Is it possible that she is afraid of a lead hen, and feels pressured to lay her egg quickly and get out of there? I am just guessing here. I hope this helps and hopefully others will chime in too!

5. Lesliejean

Oct 9, 2013
    Thanks again. I think it might be pressure from the other hen as she is definitely the lead between the two. I'll keep watching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by