Pre-laying nastiness?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoManyHats, Oct 1, 2013.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    Do chickens get like "PMS" before they lay their first egg? Specifically, I'm wondering if that could explain one of my chicken's extreme nastiness the last few days. She's about 21/22 weeks and all of a sudden she's been picking on all the others. She will run across the yard just to peck them. Pecking hard then pushing off whoever gets near her on the roost. If one gets too close, she snaps (for lack of a better word) at her. She's also been chasing some of the others out of the coop. She used to just pick on the youngest/smallest, but now it's everyone seemingly for no reason.

So could it be hormonal, or do you think this is just going to be her personality? That would be awful! :barnie

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    A fair number of my pullets get crazy, loud, obnoxious, spooky, something or another a few weeks before they start laying. They generally don't get aggressive with people, but they do get obnoxious with the other birds sometimes. They usually do settle down after they have laid for a month or two. They are going to be rearranging their pecking order as they mature also, and that behavior is probably part of it.

3. Maggiesdad

Maggiesdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Central Virginia
    She's getting close! I always think of Bill Cosby's skit about his wife having a baby and pulling his lip over his forehead when mine get like that. [​IMG]

I have a basque hen that was just a sweet as could be before she started, and then for about two weeks she would bite my forearm and twist if I tried to get near her. Then about a week after she started laying she was back to normal.

Had little blood blisters all up and down my arm... [​IMG]

4. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA

I remember that episode! So have any of her flock mates started laying yet? I opened the nest box for them, but they just started pooping in it so I closed it back up.

5. Maggiesdad

Maggiesdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Central Virginia
    No, not yet. But they are close, too. They are squatting for the rooster.. Won't be long now.

If you are home, keep an ear peeled for the egg song. Open the boxes when you hear that. Keep the bedding raked level in the corners of the coop. If she starts digging a nest it's opening time.

6. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    I have a similar situation and was thinking the same.
    I have one about the same age. She's always been a sweetheart but suddenly she's started chasing a few of the others and challenging the boss hen. She still needs to grow her comb and waddles and then turn red but I hope it's getting close to laying for the both of us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by