pre laying noised

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rooster Don, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Rooster Don

Rooster Don Out Of The Brooder

Still waiting for our first eggs. Our sussex is making a low murmur type noise, almost like tribbles in the original star trek. she started this today and looks fine and is active. I am guessing this is a pre egg laying noise. Anyone know of this sound?

Also, what does the egg laying song sound like that I have heard spoken of in here so often? We are on Day 10 today and all 5 hens and the rooster for the first time all seemed at ease yesterday together. I guess it just takes time.

2. Rooster Don

Okay so it was supposed to read Pre Laying Noises. And my wife just told me that our sussex sounds like a cat in heat.

3. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Does she squat for you? How old?

4. Rooster Don

she has been squatting. she is around 8 months. bought her and brought her home 10 days ago, pretty traumatic 2 hour drive home then she and her rooster had to wait in the carrying cage until we got the new coop put together. right now she stands and coo's, sits and coo's and sounds like she is just moaning. she was laying the the corner of the fenced in area yesterday and we thought she was close. then today she stated making this new noise constantly.

5. Angelicisi

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Shes at POL. Point Of Lay...anytime now I'd bet. Toss an egg or golfball in the nest...

6. Angelicisi

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    I have recordings of my girls egg songs but no way to upload them :/ google egg song...all are a tiny bit different but same tune lol I love it and they tease often with it lol

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  7. Rooster Don

so i just saw the ones on youtube, lots of loud announcement type singing. is this what yours do Angelicisi?

8. Angelicisi

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Yup, there's a pattern to it lol but I have a barnavelder mix that clicks and grunts and carries on like she's upset. No song til after the egg for her. Each girl will figure it it. I just posted a YouTube video of my EE laying an egg. Lol

9. Angelicisi

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    But no song til after I stopped filming just bickering noises, she wasn't waiting for one hen to finish before butting in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by