pre-laying pullets / nestboxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moselle, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Should I keep the nestboxes closed off to the pullets until they get closer to laying age?

2. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I did because they liked to sleep in the boxes.

I took the board off of the boxes once they started sleeping on the roost and got closer to egg laying age. [​IMG]

3. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Yes, it's best to close the nest boxes for a while because they like sleeping there instead of using the roost and will get used to it. This will prevent them from getting the habit of sleeping in the nest box.

Good luck! Hope they lay delicious eggs soon!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  4. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Whoops! Double-posted! Darn it! [​IMG] Very sorry!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  5. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Thanks - I will keep them closed for the first few weeks then. That certainly makes sense.

6. SunsetChickens

SunsetChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2008
    Menlo Park, CA
    Our girls had no interest in the next boxes whatsoever until they started squatting. We made sure they slept on the roost (which they also learned to do on their own), but we weren't even sure if they could jump up into the boxes. (They seemed so high up!)

Then they started squatting, and — as if by magic — they realized that the nest boxes seemed to be pretty amazing places to hang out in the afternoon. Next thing we knew, they were laying there.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I had older Bantams when my standards were little - I couldn't close the nest boxes for that reason - the bantams were laying but the standards werent' - they never went into the nest boxes - they LOOKED but didn't go in.....

My standards learnt to use a roost to sleep on when they were still in the brooder, so the nest box wasn't something that looked like a BED to them!

8. smnytx

smnytx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2007
    tagging onto this post...

It just occurred to me that my three girls are now 20 weeks old and probably getting ready to lay... I have had the nest boxes closed off since we built the tractor. Should I take of the "wall" right away? I can do it in the morning, or right now (in the rain).

What should I put down in the nest boxes? I know hay is good, but I don't have any just now.

FWIW, my girls are one production red, one BR, and one EE. All were hatched on or about 9/26/07.

Thanks for any info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by