Pre-made coop modification before winter - suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MindyNE, Aug 17, 2014.

1. MindyNE

MindyNE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Nebraska
    Fellow Chicken Owners,

I need some advice. I purchased this pre-made coop and started painting it to prolong the wood, but the more I read the more I realize that this coop is not big enough for 3 chickens for the winter. I need to make some modifications before the cold winter sets in. I live in Nebraska and our winters can be very cold. What I am thinking of doing is closing in the bottom of the coop and raising it up a about 3 feed on posts to give the girls the ability to have additional run space under the coop. I would close in all the bottom with boards and put in 2-3 vents for ventilation and between the walls and the roof of the bottom area is open about 2 inches for ventilation also. Does anyone have more suggestions? I also think that I will cover the new "floor" of the raised coop with vinyl flooring for easy clean up plus adding another door for easy access. I would like to get my girls through the winter unharmed.

Thank you for any suggestions as I am new to this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That sounds good. You might consider a tarp or scrap of wood over the run and maybe down one side to keep it relatively snow free, so they can get outside. Pay more attention to some air movement in the coop than trying to keep it warm in there (actually it sounds like you are already doing this.) If the roost is one of those 1" dowels, replace it with the flat side of a 2x4 or a fat branch, something more comfortable for them. Some people use square bales of hay set outside to slow down a draft and maybe hold a little warmth, or atl least still air.

It's not huge for 3 chickens, no, but it might surprise you how well they do, expecially if they can get outdoors every day. I hope you get ome more ideas posted here. Good luck!

3. MindyNE

MindyNE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Nebraska
    Okay, so here is what I completed so far. It still needs painted, but I don't know if I need to close up the open areas at the top of the walls under the roof. Will this be too much ventilation? And, do I need to add a window for light? Suggestions?

I put in a pic of the gap at the top of the walls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by