Pre-made coops.

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Fancy Feather Poultry, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Does anyone know a good website for
    cheap pre-made coops?n or just pre-made
    coops at all.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Every coop I've seen online has been outrageous in price. Have you tried craigslist?

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Where are you located? Maybe someone in your area with carpentry skills will see this and build one.

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I am in CT and my father builds chicken coops. I can see if he will build a "kit" for you but it depends on where you are to see if it is worthwhile or not.

5. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    Quote:That would be nice, uhm I live in Michigan.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The shipping is always a killer. Also, the price of new (as opposed to recycled) wood really adds up as you're building. Plus there isn't much of a market for premade coops, so not much 'economy of scale'. They just do cost a lot.

If you want prefab and inexpensive, why not look out for a deal on a new or used wooden garden shed - extremely easy to convert.

Pat

7. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    Bump

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I noticed that Costco was having an online sale for a shed in March. It was fairly inexpensive with the rebate and a couple of hundred off. You might consider that, and then convert it into a coop.

Pre-made coops are pretty expensive. I started building ones that was very strong and well built for the same price as some of the really flimsy ones that you can buy online. There's a pretty good market here for them. I've sold 3 in the last few weeks, and it's not even Spring yet. But I'm in Colorado, and there are lots of farms or rich people with lots of land here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by