Pre-Made Coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BekkiH, Jan 20, 2013.

1. BekkiH

BekkiH Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    We currently have a small coop for our six chickens, but I am hoping to get a bigger one that holds at least 15 chickens.

I would love to build one from scratch, but I am not handy, and my hubby does not feel like building anything unless he's actually at work. If I wait for him to help me, it will never happen.

We have been thinking about buying a pre-fab shed and converting it to be more suitable for chickens. But I'm also wondering about pre-built chicken coops (or even kits).

I came across this website, which looks more reasoable than some others I have seen:

http://www.shedsunlimited.net/store/product/quaker-poultry-barn-coop-for-15-18-hens/

Does anyone have any recommendations? I feel a little lost here.

I am hoping to spend less than $2000. Even that is pushing it.

Any suggestions? Recommendations?

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
  3. BekkiH

Oct 2, 2012
    Thanks! Those links are very helpful! I LOVE that first one!

I did some browsing on Craigslist and found this: http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/grd/3463377149.html

That's a pretty good price, and I can get it delivered. 5x8 should be enough space for about 20 chickens, right?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sheds are the easiest way to go for a nice big coop. I have two of them and wouldn't want to go back to a smaller coop again. Automatic coop door opener is a must so that chicken chores are just once a day, any time you want to gather eggs, etc.!!!

To give you an idea, my 6' x 10' metal shed coop comfortably holds 15 large fowl just for sleeping. I have crammed in as many as 25 of them just for night and it was OK since they were best buddies from chickhood. But if some of them weren't that friendly to one another it would have been way too many. And I clean the poo out every day.

My 7 x 7 plastic shed comfortably holds 25 bantams just for sleeping. But now I only have 8 in there and you can almost hear the crickets chirping LOL.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Don't know where you live but around here you can get a pre build shed for 1000$ delivered home. Have you checked what home depot or lowes offer? Maybe you for a local shed builder that offers lot models out repos for a discount price. A 8x10 should do.

6. BekkiH

Oct 2, 2012
    Ooohh! Automatic coop door opener?? Is this something I can put on a shed? Would I need to cut a little chicken door in the side? Or are they fine just going in and out of the big door? And should I make sure to have one with windows?
    We are going to Lowe's tomorrow night to see what they have. :) Their website isn't super helpful when it comes to assembly prices.

7. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    BekkiH, that chicken coop is great too, but I wouldn't put 20 in it. A comfortable amount would be around 13-15. Good luck. I'll keep looking!

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes if you install an auto coop door opener, you cut a pop door in the side of the shed, then install the auto opener INSIDE the shed so that the electronics and the door itself don't get frozen or wet/ruined. You can find battery-operated ones and electric.

If the power goes out, I plan on just opening the regular door of the shed (hasn't happened yet for me) as I have an electric one.

Windows are nice so that you can increase ventilation, but always always always install 1/2 inch hardware cloth over the screens to keep out rats/weasels/raccoons.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/large-chicken-coop-designs-pictures-of-chicken-coops
    Here you can see some of the large coops in the BYC coop pages to get ideas if needed.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by