Pre-mature chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SonRise Silkies, Jul 15, 2010.

1. SonRise Silkies

SonRise Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Oklahoma
    If an egg goes full term and hatches on it's own, can the chick be premature
    I have a Mille Fluer chick that hatched two days ago...it is very tiny and nearly naked. You can see through it's skin nearly, it's eyes look all blue around the outside, like not finished developing. You can see it's little ear holes even.
    Sort of like a few Naked Necks I've seen.
    I KNOW that chicks are much bigger and fatter looking than they actually are because of the fuzz but this one is scarey!!!
    Believe me a naked chick is pitiful.
    Hardly any fuzz or feathers but you can tell it is gold with little black or dark stripes down the back.
    It is healthy and active and seem very alert and bright.
    Just looks VERY odd.
    Did anyone ever hatch any thing like this before? Sorry camera died....no pics.
    The worst part is that it hatched with a batch of VERY fuzzy Silkies and they make it look double bad by comparison [​IMG]
    Thanks, Cheryl

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, not really "premature" in the sense of the word - if it were, it wouldn't have absorbed the blood from the vessels in the membranes and it would have bled to death when it hatched. Probably would have had a yolk sac, too.

What is probably going on is either a problem with the incubator temp and humidity - I believe it's high temps and low humidity that causes naked chicks, but I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Or, it could just be genetic. I used to work with a lady who had a benign genetic defect in her family -- absolutely no hair or nails, because their bodies couldn't make the proteins found in hair and nails. So, she always wore wigs and fake nails and fake eyelashes.

3. SonRise Silkies

SonRise Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Really?
    Thanks for the reply, I can't think of any other thing except genetic or lack of something in either the roo or hen?
    As I mentioned there were other chicks in that hatch, really every egg hatched except one, and all were really fat and sassy. There was one other Mille Fluer in there also. ALL were perfect.
    I'll keep checking back and see what other answers or suggestions are given.
    Thanks again for taking the time to offer suggestions.
    Cheryl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by