Pre paid phones?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Gonzo, May 12, 2010.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Anybody here have a pre paid cell phone? I'm thinking about giving up the line I have with my brother, and going pre paid. Does anybody know which pre paid company has the best coverage? I'm looking at straight talk.... but I don't know how good they are.

2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I had the one that started with the V
    I hated my pre paid phone

3. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I have a Tracfone and I've had good coverage with it. I recently was at a website which compared prepaid plans and companies -- Sorry, I can't remember the name of it. I do remember that some had very poor coverage. I went to the site because I was considering getting a better phone and keeping my Tracfone number and minutes. Unfortunately, I learned that Tracfone customer has become very bad since I first got my phone and lots of people were not able to get their number or minutes transferred. Do a search for prepaid phone reviews.

4. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    YEAH! Tracphone! Thats what I had... Where did I come up with V?
    It got good coverage but I hate what they count as minuets.

5. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    I have a T-mobile prepaid cell phone. For us it makes sense as we get very poor cell service at our home, so we only use the cell when we are away from home. With the T-mobile plan I got, I pay $1.00 for the first call on any day I use the phone (nothing on days I don't), plus 10 cents a minute, except all minutes after 7pm and weekends and to other T-mobile users are free. Since I usually only use it when I am away from home (generally on weekends), this ends up costing me an average of $10.00 a month.

I get good coverage and have the convenience of carrying a cell phone in case of emergency.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  6. For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

For-The-Love-Of-Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Washington State
    We have an AT&T Go Phone. It works. DH just took it with him to Kentucky and didn't have any problems with it. We use about $25 every three months or so.

7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have 2
    We had ATT then hubby's croaked, I kept mine because I have 3 friends I talk to on a daily basis and it is unlimited minutes.

When Hubby's croaked we found a deal with Verizon, phone was $20 and we got $20 airtime. So we bought those, my family is on Verizon so again it is unlimited.

I use both of mine all the time and only spend about $45 a month between the 2 at worse case.

8. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Have net10. It works for what I need it for. I am not a fan of the cell phone period but DH insist I have one.

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    page plus..... 44.95 a month unlimited everything [​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well if we can find the total service of prepaid everything....which AT&T does have what we like and dont like and our satellite, DirectTV.

Our total phone bill, local calls only with internet DSL = $39.95 a month. We do not have long distance because twice a year we would make any calls outside of our town. So we used the prepaid calling card for our long distance call for $20.00 and lasted about three to four years or longer if we didnt use it. We had to use landline for these services.

Our satellite Direct TV with Choice, costed us $67.00 a month. No movies or special events programs, prepaid movies, etc.

So we would love a text cellphone for me and voice/text for hubby on emergency only, not idle talks and anyone else that might want to call us directly. Wanted low cost, internet and satellite without any landline, no hidden charges, no commitments and roll over minutes.

So, At&T could not "customize" our phone/satellite orders that we want in less than $100. So we are stuck on where we have and no cell phones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by