PREAKNESS DAY: Mine That Bird or Rachael Alexandra? Who's your pick?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hotwings, May 16, 2009.

1. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    It is shaping up to be a interesting Preakness. It will be on NBC at 4:30 pm (eastern standard time). I had seen Rachael Alexandra's Kentucky Oaks win on the internet and it was very impressive. Jess Johnson bought major ownership in her after her Oaks win and entered her in the Preakness! Calvin Borel chose to ride her over Mine That Bird! Johnson also owns Curlin and has stated plans for Rachael Alexandra to be mated with Curlin. I wish her the best in the race but I am secretly rooting for Mine That Bird!

2. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Yep, MINE THAT BIRD!

Who can't root for him when he was such an underdog that came out a powerful racer!! That was a great race he ran in the Derby! I love it when that happens.

My favorite race was last years Eight Belles though. That filly was awesome! I was pulling for the whole time and she gave us all a great show...as did Mine That Bird.

I thought the jockey that rode Mine That Bird was going to ride Rachel Alexadria in this race..???

eta: I see, I read your sentance wrong....he is going to ride her....that is what I thought.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  3. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I'm going for mine that bird. It be interesting to see if this guy got it in him or was it a one time thing. Imagine if only he wasn't a gelding?

4. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Wouldnt that be great if Mine That Bird won again? I dont think it will happen though. I belive that jockey is riding another horse this week, I could be wrong about that though.

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I wasnt planning on watching. But now I am.
    Wow. that is going to be some interesting race

6. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Im from NM. MINE THAT BIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Us New Mexicans have to back our horse!! Especially those of us that have worked at our NM tracks.

8. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    CONGRATS RACHAEL ALEXANDRA!

Mine That Bird would have beat her if he hadn't got blocked in in the last stretch...he just needed a couple more seconds. They both ran a great race.

That was a great race!

9. Stina

Stina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    Our satellite signal failed as they were loading them into the gate!!!!! We missed the actual race but watched the replays a couple times...lol

Where did Mine that Bird get blocked??...I didn't see that at all...he need a few more lengths. We'll see what happens in the Belmont!

10. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Well, not really blocked as in on purpose but at the end when he was pulling through he seemed to try and go left to find a way to the lead but he was blocked and had to then pull right to make it around the other horses and then he caught up to the filly. If it hadn't been for that couple of seconds then I really think he would've won.

Last edited: May 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by