Pred. Attack - wing removed- New pic post #7

MomMommyMamma

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
West Virginia
We are missing our 5 mo. old buff - feathers int he yard - guessing hawk since no blood or any other evidence.
7-8 wk old hen found in the pen w/ one wing removed at the first joint (at the body). Some bleeding. Applying pressure with a clean cloth and antiobiotic ointment (primarily so that we don't pull off any scab that may form). Can you get silver nitrate to cauterize? Is it better to just kill the chick? It will always be pecked at right?
Will try to get a pic up in a few minutes here.
So very sad to have lost the "mama" buff. She had really adopted these chicks.
hit.gif

4782980603_e81486dbe8_o.jpg

Added pic - there does not seem to be any injury other than the missing wing. The blood seems at this point to all be from the wing being removed.
Can I clean it with maybe bottled water? I have some jugs of distilled & some of drinking water. Also have peroxide and alcohol (like tequila or vodka I think - don't drink much lol).

Last edited:
If you choose to try to let her heal .. She will need to be kept alone until the wound has healed over.. Peroxide kills new skin so I wouldnt use any, I would wash it well with a betadine solution then addd a thin layer of triple anibiotic.(without painkillers).. Wrap wing if possible with vetwrap and gauze or just make sure no flies can get to her .. You do not want maggots...

If she will heal she will be just fine without the wing. There have been a few posts about wings being pulled off by preditors.

Off to get some betadine & vet tape. I've put some goldenseal powder and a bandage tied on. I used the goldenseal powder on the umbilical cord stumps on my last two human babies w/ good results. Drying and antiseptic.
Thanks for the info!!

The hen seems to be doing fairly well. Changed her bandage and washed off some of the dried blood. Seemed lonely w/o her 6 brothers & sisters. We put a bantam chick of about the same age in w/ her for company. A very laid back bantam. We tried one of her sisters but that hen freaked out and kept trying to fly out of the box. The bantam is snuggled up w/ the injured hen and I thought they'd be a fair match where hopefully neither will peck at the other. Keeping an eye on them. Have them inside for the night. Thanks for the help and encouragement. We did a lot of work on the coop & run today to make it more secure. I think the worst part, well, aside from missing the Buff that's gone, is knowing that something knows we have chicken and will be back to try to get another meal.

Last edited:
Here's the chick - looking great! The crust that the goldenseal powder formed allowed the chick to quickly return to the flock. We kept it separated for just a few days. I saw one chick peck at it once about 2 days ago. I caught it right away. Rinsed the wing and applied more goldenseal. No more pecking. Keeping a close eye on it all but the chick seems to be doing great!

4809897069_1fa1c13a8b_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom