Predator ate the eggs! Pic added!

MuranoFarms

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Boyers, Pa
Last night I went to collect the eggs from the nest (and pull off that silly broody) and she was only sitting on 2 fresh eggs! I leave 5 marked eggs in the nest...this nest is about 3 weeks old. So we take her back to the coop and come back down with flashlights and sure enough.....we found broken egg shells about 10 feet away. I had some quitters I had pulled from the bator, so I put them in the nest with a trail cam on it. Hoping it comes back so I know what kind of trap to set. Any idea what it might have been? DH seems to think raccoon or fox.

So glad all my babies come in at night!

Last edited:
If this happened during the day my bet would be crows. We've watched them raid Guinea nests during the day.

I bet Robin is right. I was leaving a couple of eggs in the nest every day and the same thing happened. I couldn't believe my dog would raid it and I know it happened in the middle of the day. I know the crows have robbed the chicken eggs but never thought about them taking the guineas eggs.

Skunks love eggs. If you trap one, be careful or you may have a smelly problem!
lol.png

Yup, it turned out my Aussie was eating about 7 eggs a day. He gained about 10 pounds and had a beautiful shiny coat before we discovered him!

Back
Top Bottom