Predator attack - safe but pretty bald and COLD!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickarita, Nov 23, 2012.

1. chickarita

chickarita Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Central Massachusetts
    Our White Leghorn was attacked by something yesterday and we found her under the deck, completely bald in the back except for a few long, dirty tail feathers. We washed her up and blew dry her feathers and separated her for the night. She seems to be okay, actually - eating, drinking, etc. The question I have is can I introduce her back outside? We have five other hens and it's cold - mid-30s. Can her bare butt (really bare vent!) be outside like that and she'll be fine? I joked about knitting her a butt cover...but I don't knit. :)

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    awww poor thing.... Can u keep her in isolation until she gets better?

3. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I would isolate her in a crate with a heat lamp until she had more feathers. She is also vulnerable at being pecked at. The best thing to grow feathers is extra protein.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    how is she today?

5. chickarita

chickarita Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Central Massachusetts
    She seemed to be amiss without her sisters so we put her back outside. She's doing fine actually, in all ways, except she hasn't resumed laying. How long can a hen go without laying? We got one every other day before.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Glad to hear she is getting better!

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    she probably will in a few days, glad to hear!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by