Predator attack through the cage - 4 ducks with skin/flesh injuries...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fordguy, May 19, 2010.

1. fordguy

fordguy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2007
    ahhhh...so exasperated. 3 ducks had to be euthanized due to horrible injuries, broken duck bill, entrails hanging out, legs eaten off, and on and on. I feel this was either a coon or possum we made the mistake of growing them in a dog grate with holes large enough for a coon to get his paws in. they were also inside a securely fenced orchard, so I guess he climbed right over. setting live traps tonight.

What we want to do is to irrigate with betadine and then coat with neosporin. I have heard benzocain or lidocain are toxic so we are avoiding them. I have also heard not to bandage as the movement of the bandage can cause irritation or further injury. so the plan is to ointment up and keep them inside until the wounds begin to heal.

Please add your thoughts and critique my plan as we have never dealt with this before.

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yes that should work. I had 2 horrible injuries a gash on the side of one hen under her wing, and a fully scalped duck from an attack last year. I cleaned them and then sprayed with blue kote and smothered in bacitracin. I kept them inside to keep flies away. I put the pointment on each day until scabs formed. I did not wrap either but had I I would have used gauze and vert wrap) both healed up fine with no infection. I was amazed as the gash was big and the scalping was from his eyes to the neck. both are healthy and happy today.

Good Luck!

I would also feed a probiotic mash to boost immune system.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by