Predator attack

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Jul 28, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Had our first predator attack last night. Assume it was a raccoon or rat. Something burrowed or dug under the duck hose about six inches. Excess dirt in a pile outside. Thinking must have been a raccoon. Whatever it was must have given up rather easily. Thank God. Tunnel was only an inch/inch and a half wide. No visible sign of something turning around and coming out again. :0( Roof lifts up fairly easily - keep telling my husband it's not secure enough to withstand raccoons....

2. Brookiesflock

Brookiesflock Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Ahhhh so scary!! we have concrete floors in both coops and I have the wire 1 ft under the ground and netting over the outside of coops, we live in the country so we have predators above, under, and everywhere else, tell hubby to get on it lol [​IMG] dont want to wake up to screaming duckies good luck

3. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Have tried to convince hubby that racoons are smarter or at least more persistent that current safety level allows....not getting anywhere. But then he's going to have to deal with me when something does happy to "my babies". How did ducks come to be so important to me??? "they are just farm animals", quote the husband.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by