Predator attacked, scared chickens

GracieGirl415

In the Brooder
May 27, 2016
Yesterday, one of my buff orpington chickens was attacked and killed. We think it was a hawk. I don't know if this is the right section to post this, but here's my question: the rest of my chickens seen really frightened. We've seen the hawk staying around so we're not letting the chickens out. They're frightened to even go in the run, their food is hardly depleted, I don't know what to do. Is there something I can do to help them not be scared any more?

Please help!!! I'm afraid they're going to starve themselves or something. Maybe get sick from lack of exercise I don't know.

Thanks in advance.
Grace

Are they staying in the coop, then? If that is the case, simply move the feeder and waterer into the coop, or else put dishes of food and water in there.

They are scared for a reason: a predator got one of the flock. It's important that they be scared of predators. It's OK for them to be afraid and to stay in the coop for a while; that is a natural reaction that could actually save their lives in the future. Don't worry about them, be patient, give them some time to get over it and they will be fine.

Also: why do you think a hawk got the Buff Orpington? Did you see the hawk kill the chicken? Just in case it's not a hawk, can you describe what happened, so that if there is indeed another type of predator you can be prepared? Very sorry for your loss. :hugsAnd welcome to BYC! :frow

This happened to my flock, move the food closer. It took two weeks for mine to completely return to normal. They are more wary of hawks now and I haven't lost another touch wood. Although I restricted their free ranging hours as well and got a pair of geese.

The food and water are inside the coop. I'm not certain it was a hawk, but when I found the chicken the head was missing I think (I didn't look long because I don't like that sort of thing. My brother took care of it when he got home). We thought it was a hawk because later we saw it perched on my neighbor's yard waiting for something. Also the attach happened in the middle of the day although I want home. I went out to check on then and that's when I discovered the dead chicken.

Owls do also like taking the heads.
Hawks will as well. Red tail hawks are big enough to take a larger bird. We have red shoulder hawks and they can't puck up my bigger birds,so they don't mess with them,just my bantams.
I clap loud several times in the morning,cause it deters the Owls n Hawks. The loud high pitch sound drives them off.
Also I found out Hawks do not like being around Eagles...so I play eagle calls from time to time.
It helps cause our red tail hawks Have Not came bk.
Sorry for your loss:(.
Hope the post helps.
Oh oh...BTW...yea its normal for them to be freaked out. I agree with what others have said so far. All great advice!

Thank you all for your advice, I feel much better about them staying in the coop. I will keep an eye on them just in case. Thanks for all your help!!!!!:bow

Back
Top Bottom