Predator Beam Alarm

Mavrik

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
After loosing my absolutely favorite girl to a dog attack (also a dozen attacks over the years, my girls open free range), I set up a perimeter beam alarm to know when anything large crosses onto my property (chickens walk under it). I mainly have issues with large dogs or coyotes. Inside the house a bell alerts me, it's also got lights to tell which beam is being tripped so I know where to look. What a dream, now I know when to grab my shotgun and head outside. Before I was on constant "dog watch", what a pain.

Anyone else with a beam alarm?

This is my own design, the beams themselves are store bought (ebay) and I built the system around them. Some solar, some hardwired, all automatic, I don't run it at night when the crew is locked up.

I'm sure a full system can be purchased. I wanted to save some bucks building it myself and to do custom alerts.

Sounds cool,
clap.gif

what distance does the beam cover?
Like how much area can you monitor?

A beam system can pretty much monitor an endless distance. Like one model can do a distance of 655 feet, then one can just add more beams back to back. The area is pretty much endless as well, put the beams around an area. The beam has a transmitter and receiver when something gets between them it stops the beam (like a garage door safety) and sounds an alarm. It's kinda like crossing a laser pointer. It's fast too, I've had low flying birds trip it.

Unlike motions sensors that don't work well (not to mention, small coverage), a beam only/always trips when something blocks the beam.

Back
Top Bottom