Predator deterrent- fabulous idea, or?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by matimeo, Aug 22, 2010.

1. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I saw this online and thought I would install it outside my coop, then insert a splitter outlet and plug in a radio and a light. It has a setting to only go off in low light. Any motion would automatically turn on the light and radio- hopefully scaring away any nasty night-time critters. Anybody tried anything like this, or have a better/similar option for automatic raccoon deterrent? I also noticed this was only for indoor use and wondered if anybody knows where I can get one that will work outside. I read a review that said it might not work very well when the weather gets colder.

[​IMG]

Here's a link to the product: http://www.onqproduct.com/SensorPlu...froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. matimeo

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
  3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I think its a pretty cool concept and just might work IF it was rated for outdoor use. I would never trust it unless I could find one that had that outdoor rating. It would probably work great for awhile, then the humidity would get to it and when it fails you find out the hard way.

You might contact the manufacturer to see if they had one that you could use outside....just a thought.

4. matimeo

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I've been searching online and can't find an outdoor option. In fact, this is pretty much the only one of these that anybody makes, which surprises me. You'd think there would be a market for this kind of thing. I'm thinking I'll try to insulate it the best I can, install it under the eve of the coop and hope adverse temperature doesn't affect too much. Here in Oregon it doesn't freeze too much...

5. KenLamWV

KenLamWV Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Bridgeport, WV
    Well if you already have power at your coop, why not wire in a motion light with halogens like the ones people install on their homes for security? These are made for outdoor use and relatively easy to install. Just run some PVC conduit inside your coop and install a round wiring box to it on the outside. Shouldn't be hard to do. Best of luck.- Ken

6. matimeo

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    My coop isn't wired unless you count the extension cord running from the garage.

7. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Then attach a heavy plug to the direct wiring on the motion sensor light, and plug it into an extension cord. Tape your plug connections with electical tape, and then wrap them in some waterproof material and tape that. You'd be better off getting an electric fence unit. Coons and other predators will come to ignore the light once they see there are no repercussions from it coming on. That is, unless you back up the light coming on with a shotgun! [​IMG]

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    All my game cameras have a flash on them & it never scares the animals.

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello.
    what about using some sort of solar lights?

10. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I don't think it will work, at least not for very long. I've noticed that animals in my yard don't react when I turn on the lights, and a motion detector light at a friend's goes off all the time whenever something walks through the yard. It doesn't seem to affect his animals either, though it sure does make him a nervous wreck.... As for plugging in the radio, I'm guessing they will also get used to that over time. We have all sorts of animals around my yard and my parents' farm, and they seem to not be bothered by talking, activities, or even the dogs unless they start to chase them. I just make sure my coop is as secure as possible and so far have been lucky in that regard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by