predator evidence in coop....:(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pipthepeep, Jan 23, 2011.

1. pipthepeep

pipthepeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    For the last 7 months or so, I housed my chickens in what I thought was a secure run...chain link fence all around with metal roofing panels anchored down for a roof...on top of a concrete slab. Well, two days ago, I went into the run and the very first thing I saw was a huuuuge pile of predator scat!!! I am fairly positive it was raccoon....looking around I noticed that there is a gap of about 3 or 4 inches in between one section of where the roof meets the kennel, so I am assuming it climbed in from above ( I read they can squeeze through any opening they can fit their head through!) Fortunately, no one was hurt. But, what I thought was weird was that none of the corn or chicken feed had been touched either! All the goodies are in plain sight outside the coop...Raccoons are omnivores, and notorious for eating anything...with the cold weather we have been having (it was snowing that night and windy too), I would have thought he would have eaten everything in sight! Does anyone else think that is weird?
    Obviously, I am going to cover up that gap with hardware cloth, but now I am questioning whether maybe this isnt the first time he has been in the coop...just the first time he left "evidence"...something has been cracking the black oil sunflower seeds and eating the middle but leaving the shell...don't think my peeps are doing this either:(

2. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Sunflower seed hulls left sounds like the mouse problem we had a while back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by