1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Predator gnawing thru chicken wire

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Heartforchickens, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Heartforchickens

Heartforchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    South Alabama
    My chicken coop is secured with chicken wire top to bottom. A night in December, something gnawed through the wire and got inside. I found my one and only Golden Campine dead, but with no visible marks, only a tuft of feathers beside her. The hole the predator gnawed was about six inches long. Does anyone know what animal would kill and not eat or try to remove the chicken from the coop? It has not returned since--thank goodness.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Welcome! [​IMG]

It sounds like a raccoon, though I'm not so sure. Try putting up a thicker wire or make sure the whole run area is closed.

3. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    snakes and it could be any think it might have been spocked and ran away a snake kiled my isa brown not long ago is there any bight marks if so how big

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a raccoon.

Chicken wire does not keep chickens safe. Updgrade to welded wire or hardware cloth.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I am not sure what predator it might be but can I suggest hardware cloth for the bottom part of your run? It is a lot more sturdy than chicken wire. Sorry to hear about you losing one of your birds. [​IMG]

6. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    coon, use welded wire or hardware cloth. Chicken wire will not keep them out...

7. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Same thing happened to me. After the third time something tore through the chicken wire and I lost almost all my birds, I got rid of the pen and am working on getting a new coop built with galvanized hardware cloth. Not many things are more sickening than coming home or getting up to find all your birds in the coop dead and a big hole torn in the wire.

8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    unfortunately as you have learned, chicken wire is for chickens. At a minimum use 1/2" hardware cloth on all exposed openings. I personally use 2 layers separated by at leas a 3/4" board. That keeps the raccoons grubby little paws out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by