Predator got one last night...

Cloverleaf Farm

Bearded Birds are Best
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Levan, UT
In a year and a half of having chickens, I've never lost one to a predator...until last night. I lost a little Salmon Faverolle/Welsummer cross cockerel. I'm sure it was a coon, as just the head was gone, pulled through the wire.
Setting a trap tonight...going on a 'coon hunt... RIP little Sam.

The raccoon (or possum) that pulled the hen's head through the fence will be back so you might consider adding another barrier over the bottom two feet of your coop/pen fencing.

You can use a fencing material with smaller openings so the coon cant reach through, or use a solid material such as wood or metal roofing panels mounted horizontally.

Oh, and set up the trap just outside the pen at the location where you found the dead hen. Cover the trap with old feed sacks, leaving just the door end uncovered. We use canned cat food and marshmallows or some broken eggs as bait.

A trapper told me peanut butter, strawberry syrup and marshmellows. I know they like the peanut butter and strawberry jam. Good luck and watch them they are mean.

Ya, gonna add some hardware cloth over that whole side where it pulled him though, and there is a flat spot just on the other side of the fence where I'm going to put the trap...covering it with feed bags is a great idea, so it can't reach through the side of the trap at the bait. I had read on here that alot of people have used the remains of whatever bird they killed, as they know the smell and will come back for another chicken dinner, so I was going to use the rest of the bird...seems a shame that he go to waste, at least his death can maybe save the next bird that the filthy bugger was going to kill....but maybe I'll add some PB for good measure...thanks for all the tips...I'll let you know what I get...

Oh, and I'm not messing around with anything small for this guy, if it IS a coon, it can take too many shots to kill if it's mad (which I'm sure it will be come morning) so I have a .30-06 cartridge with that coons name all over it...

If'n you go out with 1 30-06 round, you may miss.
Then you'd be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.
A better bet would be a .22 pistol with at least 2 rounds in it.
That way if'n ya miss... say, you're not feelin' depressed, ere ya?

coon hunters will take it and destroy it for you. I have a funny story with that. A friend of mine that is a coon hunter was letting the coon out of the cage at his house. The house dog scared the coon and it instintively climbed the first thing that it came to, his brother. Thats one trip to the emergency room I would have loved to heard.
lol.png

Quote:
Are you kiddin?? That SOB is MINE!! My husband wanted to be the one to shoot it, and I had to argue that it was MY chicken, so I get to shoot it! haa haa! That's too bad in a hilarious sort of way about the coon climbing that guy!!

Oh, and tom - I was planning on a clip full of 30-06, but my husband convinced me to use his .22-250, not so loud...
wink.png

You guys all crack me up!!!

Back
Top Bottom