Predator hauled off 11 chickens in one night what could do this?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cowgirlgrace, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Cowgirlgrace

Cowgirlgrace Chillin' With My Peeps

I had something get into my coop last night and all that was left were 3 chickens that roost in the rafters and some pullets in a separate cage. There were some feathers in the coop and a few in the field next door with a bit of intestine but for the most part these chickens are just plain GONE! There are 11 bantys gone. Was it a pack of something? I found a few prints that looked like dog but that were not from our own. No other prints were found. What kinds of predators can take that many and leave almost no evidence? It wasn't human.

2. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    Sounds like you had a couple fox or a family of raccoons to me. They usually take their kill elsewhere to eat. Possibly coyotes.

Fox and coyotes are mating this time of year, so it is highly likely that if they are in your area, you had a few come in.

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Sounds to me like you were visited by a few coyotes. I hope you catch/kill them before they completely clean you out.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Whatever it was, you need to find out how it got in and fix the problem because it will be back now that it knows there is food available. Good luck.

5. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Sounds like yotes. The easiest way I found is to set up a game cam and learn their pattern.
    They like to visit on a regular schedule. ( once fed ).
    Then wait and take care of business.

Other option is to call them in, which is what we like to do in the winter when the fields are open.

We don't have any problems from the 4 legged preditors,

Hot wires at 4,12,24" around the runs and coops.
    Gaurd dog on duty 24/7
    Security Cams.

just my .02

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Coyotes I say as well. They likely consumed just a couple birds, rest probably cached in holes for later consumption. Should not be hard to track if snow on ground to cache sites.

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you find whatever it is that did it. [​IMG]

8. Cowgirlgrace

Quote:What do you mean by call them in? are you talking about chickens? or yotes?

9. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Do you have coyotes in Gig Harbour?
    If something like that happened here I would say a Raccoon family.
    Electric fencing/mesh is the safest bet for protection.

10. Cowgirlgrace

Our address is Gig Harbor but we are actually on the Key Peninsula. It's pretty rural here and at the end of our dirt road is a 8000 acre tree farm and there are lots of coyotes out there. I've never seen them down at our end and only rarely hear them in the distance but there is nothing stopping them from coming down to our place. This may be hard to believe but in the 15 years we have had chickens here the only predator we've had to deal with was a Bald Eagle. But its highly possible the coyotes are working their way down here. Someone suggested the coyotes were storing the chickens and also feeding pups. I never heard a ruckus and I usually do. They were very quiet and quick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by