Predator in Coop Graphic Kill Pics

savilcr

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Georgia
I have lost 2 chickens this week, they have been locked in the coop/run all week which means something is getting through the hog wire or eating through the chicken wire, im setting ever trap I have tonight until I catch everything in the area. I’ll post pictures tomorrow of the damage and hopefully some dead predators.

I heard one hen last night squawk loudly, walked outside and heard something run off, looked in the run and there is one of our leghorns with no head.

Last edited:
You need welded wire, chicken wire will not keep predators out. Sorry about your chickens.
hugs.gif

Hog wire is big enough to let coons, skunks, weasels, possum and others into it. Chicken wire won't stop anything that wants in wild or domestic dog. It will only keep the chickens lock behind it.

well i put the dead chicken in front of one of my trail cameras and something took it last night but did not take the bait in the live trap. ill post pictures of whatever it was tonight.

well I found the hole they were getting in through, i have caught two in two nights, set out 8 traps last night, they got another chicken the night before and left it dead on top of the roof of the run. needless to say I am not happy.
78071_c_005.jpg

78071_c_003.jpg

heres the entrance
78071_c_002.jpg

78071_c_001.jpg

the hole is fixed with about 100 other staples, i plan on trapping until I dont catch any more for a week straight.

Here's hoping you catch all your racoon predators!! Hope the one you caught went swiftly to racoon heaven!! I used to like them...now that I have chickens, that's a totally different story. I haven't lost any chickens to racoons, but we still set traps every few weeks. The nice ones go to a conservation area about 10 miles away. We call it coon launching. We put the cage in the back of the truck, go to the conservation, open the trap and they literally "fly" out!! Rather fun. We've had some big males, that snarl and bite the cage. One big bull, literally bit the bars so hard, they bent. The growling mean ones, go to heaven and we are glad to accomodate their trip! So sorry for your losses. When you spend so much time, raising your chickens, feeding, watering and them you lose them senselessly to predation, it is very disheartening! Best of luck! Oh, yes, wanted to add, we spray the ones we take to the conservation area with a dot of pink paint. If they come back (which none have so far), they don't get another chance.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom