Predator leaving only a few feathers.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by OneMore, Feb 9, 2019.

1. OneMore

OneMore In the Brooder

Feb 9, 2019
    No blood, no body part, only 3-4 feathers. This is happening during day, close to house, while I'm home, while they're free ranging on one acre, fenced, lots of hiding places. We have raccoons, don't think that's it. We have hawks (and owls), Coyotes, Fox. What do you think this is?

2. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    Hawk or here in Tn, its been black headed buzzards. :mad:

3. LRH97

LRH97 Songster

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Are your birds fully grown? Most hawks or owls (at least in my area) won't carry a grown chicken away. Usually will kill and eat on site. I'd lean towards a fox or coyote, and one that's very talented at making clean kills. A kill site that looks like a chicken exploded--feathers everywhere, but no bird--is a good indicator of a fox. And they can be pretty, for lack of a better term, ballsy. It's not uncommon for them to hunt in broad daylight. However, it is interesting that there are only a few feathers left. In any event, it's something big enough to carry the bird away with it!

BlueBaby, Trish1974, Shadrach and 2 others like this.
  4. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crossing the Road

Nov 2, 2018
    AU
    Well I had a fox take my rooster with no feathers-nothing! But I Agree with you

Trish1974 likes this.
  5. TeenageRooster's Dad

TeenageRooster's Dad Songster

Feb 8, 2018
    Wildomar, CA
    Agree... Coyotes/bobcats make a mess, raptors will land close by after grabbing and go at it. Good indicator it's a raptor I've notice is they leave the gizzard behind.

Fox during the day is nasty thought... do you live in a very woody area?

6. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crossing the Road

Nov 2, 2018
    AU
    I have lost over thirty chickens to a fox coming during the day. I have never found a body though

Trish1974 likes this.
  7. Thechickenchick2

Thechickenchick2 Songster

Mar 15, 2018
    Rhode Island
    This has been our exact experience. We have lost half a dozen birds in the last few months... all but one have been taken with just missing feathers to show. Others vanished without a trace. I say hawk or fox as they have been our predators. Only once did the hawk leave a carcass for a few days. Once my pullet was in two halves he carried both halves away with him.

8. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    In my experience hawks don't carry away, They may drag the chicken inot cover to eat.
    Also, hawks here at least eat the internal organs and leave the carcass.
    Another point is a hawk will usually only kill one.
    I think you have a ground predator and a fox would seem likely.

Trish1974 likes this.
  9. Trish1974

Trish1974 Araucana enthusiast

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    I agree with the majority...fox. I have personally seen more fox activity from daybreak to noon than I do at night on my game cameras.

10. WthrLady

WthrLady Crowing

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Fox

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: