Predator M.O.?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by StephenieRenee, Jul 27, 2014.

1. StephenieRenee

StephenieRenee New Egg

Jul 27, 2014
    Our birds free range and until recently we have had no issues. We live South East of Raleigh, North Carolina and have chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, and guineas. They have access to several acres. We went to check on the birds the other morning and found the carcass if one of our 2 month old Buff Orps. It was picked clean. Head and feet were left, but were detached. The next morning, I found one of our year old Plymouth Barreds dead. Carcass ripped open, very little eaten, head and feet attached. Any idea as to what type of predator we are dealing with? Trying to figure out how to secure our birds as we have a lot invested in them. Since we travel 2 days a week for work, locking them up every night is not an option. We have put one of our guard llamas in with the birds for now and there have been no new deaths.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you are able to give.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

I suggest that you have a feathered predator on the loose. I will guess a "chicken" hawk which means a Red Tail, Coopers, Blue Darter or Sharp Shinned hawk.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Honestly, the hawk is generally your biggest predator but if it was mostly eaten in the span of a few hours, I'd say you have a fox.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by