Predator mystery/ coyote question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dannifer, Nov 6, 2011.

1. dannifer

dannifer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    So I have a little bit of a mystery.. or maybe just a question about coyotes. lol A little first about my coop: I have a portable a-frame coop that only houses 2 chickens. One night last week I went out to turn on the heat lamp after dark and noticed a hole in the chicken wire of the run (not metal, but the mesh kind). It wasn't that big and the chickens were still alive and fine inside but something had obviously tried to chew it's way in. Even though I live in town in a subdivision, there is a field behind our yard where we commonly see deer, foxes (on occasion) and for the last year - one resident coyote. I was confused why my chickens were still alive. The only thing I could guess is that when I got home just after dark and let my dog out in the backyard, she must have interrupted somethings attempt at a chicken dinner. The next day I examined the back fence and could indeed see where something had pushed back the fence and crawled under at the corner. However, the hole didn't look big enough to me for a coyote to get through. On top of that, the coop is within a second fence that goes around my garden area which is a cattle panel fence(i think they are called.) Anyway, so I was trying to figure out what it was and prevent a future attack. Well, two days later, we saw TWO coyotes in our the field behind our house and have seen them every day since - sometimes multiple times a day! So they seem to be the likely culprit - however - even if a coyote could get through the small hole dug under the back fence, I can't see any way a coyote could get through the cattle panel fence to the coop! It occured to me that maybe they could jump it - but then why wouldn't they just jump the back fence too which is the same height instead of going under?! And then of course I wonder how they got back out of the yard so fast when I let my dog out that night.. if in fact she did interrupt them. My dog is a boxer and we don't leave her out at night cause it gets too cold. I had read before getting chickens that just having a dog at all would deter predators (even if she wasn't out there to guard it) cause they would smell her in the yard. I have encouraged her to pee around the coop and at the back fence to try to deter anything.. but obviously something didn't care. SO - anyone have any tips or opinions on this? Could I be wrong and it wasn't the coyotes? What can I do to keep my chickens safe now?

2. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Hardware cloth ....yep thats my favorite fix! Its saved the day for many BYCers. Go to hardware or farm store asap. Chicken wire only keeps chickens in. Coons and the like will bend or chew right through it!

3. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

May I suggest a little deterrent to digging. Powdered Lime. its the worst thing ever to get your eyes. it burns like heck and any animal that tries to get past it will learn quickly not to dig there.

4. crowbuster

crowbuster New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Please make no mistake. A coyote or two will take out your boxer in short order. And there is no truth in the whole dog pee theory. I would say you are dealing with a coon or two.

5. FlyRobinFly

FlyRobinFly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    My dogs' scent is all over my back yard but the other day they found a coyote sleeping on a bale of hay, not twenty feet away from my coop, and chased it away. So dog pee, poop, etc. isn't necessarily a deterrent. I agree that hardware cloth (galvanized mesh) is a lifesaver, that's what I have on all our chicken housing.

Robin

6. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    You can see the coyotes at night? Time to get a gun. That is the only way to stop them. Farm down the road has problems with them killing sheep. Traps them and kills them (12 this year). I have had one come in the yard and my Guineas warned me of it. It is now dead. New ones will move in so it is a constant battle with them.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You can see the coyotes at night? Time to get a gun.

Read the OP:
    I live in town in a subdivision​

8. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Members,
    These coyotes are very difficult mammal, to get rid of, as they are intelligent animals.
    Parent coyote produce average 6 pups, but can produce 16 pups if well fed.
    Coyote can jump 5 feet & clear the 5 feet fence.
    Female golden eagle & puma kills coyotes.

Try things:

stinging nettles
    10 feet fences
    wolf dungs
    plastic golden eagle
    puma dungs
    thorny plants near fences
    five big dogs
    2 canada geese

Best is to shoot the male coyotes as female coyotes go away if no male coyotes.

They had killed poultry & lambs, calves and resently few children and a 19-year-old singer.

Clinton.

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    if they are crawling under fences they are easy to catch and kill, I trap and dispatch in town constantly

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  10. Twiggers96

Twiggers96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Arcadia, FL
    I have to agree with it sounds like a coon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by