Predator or Person?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by insmokesimage, Jan 26, 2013.

1. insmokesimage

insmokesimage Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    A few months ago I started losing my chickens one by one. I have lost a total of 10 hens and 1 rooster. Everyday when I come home from work during lunch I would let my chickens out of the coop and gather the eggs and started noticing that my flock was getting smaller. We don't live in the best part of town (edge of town) so I began to think someone was stealing my chickens. When my chickens see a human they run to them and want attention. Anyway, we have smelled a skunk a few times and thought there was one living under our shed but now we don't smell anything and just last night a rooster went missing as he was left out of the pen. I was told it could possibly be racoons too. What could be taking my chickens? I would think there would be a bunch of feathers left behind and a carcass too, but there is nothing!! I just don't know what to think. How about you?

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Welcome to BYC, I wish it were under happier circumstances. It sounds like a fox to me but it could be anything. Maybe you could borrow or invest in a game camera and try to catch the culprit in the act. Another option would be to get a trap and set it outside at night. Sardines, peanut butter, or marshmellows may catch your thief. Good Luck!

3. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Foxes do smell alot like skunks. I don't have personal knowledge but it does sound like a fox taking home a meal and coming back when hungry. As long as it can get to them it will keep coming back. Others may have better advice for you. Sorry to hear that you're losing them after all the work of growing them up.

4. insmokesimage

insmokesimage Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Thanks guys! My husband and I have thought about the game camera. We do have one we just need to get it from our hunting lease which is 3 hours away and we did borrow a trap from a friend. Hopefully we can catch something. It makes me sad to loose my girls! :)

5. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by