Predator orchickens fleeseing them selves ??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rgearhead, Oct 17, 2013.

1. rgearhead

rgearhead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    S/W Burbs of Chicago
    Hi all i have 4 chickens and live a little out side Chicago, starting to get chilly here with highs of 50s..and the other mourning when i went out to my chickens I see a lot of my black astrolorp feathers stunned about the chicken run... i only have 1 black chicken the rest are tan in brown...

So first thought was something got in and attacked her, but after going over the entire run and looking for digging i cant see any possible way something got in, soo puzzled...

did she pluck some her self ?? did the other chickens do it?? is it something the sudden cold drop is driving ??

thanks for any input...

2. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    How old is she? Any chance she could be molting?

3. savnnah07

savnnah07 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    It is probably just a molt, mine are starting to molt this time of year. They usually molt for the first time around 18 months, then once a year after that. Nothing to worry about [​IMG]

4. rgearhead

Apr 22, 2012
    S/W Burbs of Chicago
    she is a little over 2 years now....thanks

5. rgearhead

Apr 22, 2012
    S/W Burbs of Chicago
    ok, I got scared when i saw how many feathers were stunned about, so molt = growing new feathers ??

thanks....

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Yes! I mean, do check her over for injury to be sure, but sometimes chickens practically explode when they molt! My run looks as if someone took several down pillows out there and shot them out of a cannon right now...
    Check out this thread! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-worst-chicken-molt-pictures-fall-winter-2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by