1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Predator problem:eating only my hens, left all the roosters

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by oregonfarmgirl, Jan 7, 2013.

1. oregonfarmgirl

oregonfarmgirl New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    Very bad morning here on the farm. Last week we found our two pet ducks (who sleep in the chicken coop at night) dead with what appeared to be their throats slit but they were not eaten, just feathers everywhere! Today, all five of my silkie hens are dead, heads missing and they are mostly eaten. Whatever it was left all the roosters!! Not sure why this would be since the silkie roosters are young and were not any bigger than the hens. Also, we have had our coop and flock for six years and this is the first time we've had a predator problem. We have three big dogs who sleep outside and keep pretty good patrol over our place. They were barking like crazy last night but I didn't see anythign amiss when I looked with the flashlight. My thought is, whatever the predator was, it had to be small enough to fit into a very small crack, maybe 4 inches wide at most, and had to be small enough the dogs couldn't get it. We do have almost two feet of snow on the gound now but I didn't see any tracks due to all the dog tracks around the coop. I think the dogs were trying to get whatever was eating the chickens. Coyotes and racoons have all met their demise with our dogs so I am certain it wasn't that. Any ideas what this might have been? My kids are so upset and I don't want anything to happen to the roosters. Help??!!!!

2. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    stoat something they cant catch

or great horned owl

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    Weasel?

4. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Yup......Weasel

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I'll 4th that.

6. oregonfarmgirl

oregonfarmgirl New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    Ok, so how the heck do I kill/trap a weasel? What would we put in a live trap for bait? We live on a creek so I was also wondering if it might be a mink? Do they kill chickens? I am not happy. My roosters have taken to living on my back porch now and I don't have the heart to lock them back up in the coop where all their girlfriends got killed! Until we catch whatever it was and get the coop some improvements, I guess they can stay on the porch. It's hard to get much work done on the coop with all the darn snow and ice right now. If the temp would get above 20 it'd sure be nice!!

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    It could be a mink. If it is a weasel here is a website that could help icwdm.org/handbook/carnivor/Weasels.asp I hope you catch whatever it is [​IMG]

8. wv leipers

wv leipers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS . I AGREE IT IS PROBABLY A MINK OR WEASEL . SET YOUR LIVE TRAP IN YOUR COOP WITH FRESH MEAT OR SARDINES IN OIL . BLOCK SIDES OFTRAP TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE ATUNNEL DRIP SOME SARDINE OIL IN FRONT OF CAGE ENTRANCE .LET ME AND EVERYONE ELSE KNOW WHAT HAPENS . GOOD LUCK ,AND IF THAT DOESN,T WORK I WLL POST WITH MORE SOLUTIONS . JESUS SAVES WV LEIPERS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by