Predator proof Chicken Run almost done!

Oct 19, 2017
Lake George, NY
We researched and researched some more before drawing up our own plans for a predator proof chicken run, we’ve got a few things left to complete but it’s up and the girls are in and safe!

A few things we learned along the way:

1 - sometimes doing it all yourself is not the best idea
2 - drawing it up on graph paper even if you’re not the best artist helps when creating a materials list
3 - hardware cloth is a must and using 1x4’s or something similar to trim over the staples makes it much easier and less need to be perfect
4 - consider planning for how to get out once you’re in there if the door can latch behind you...I know it sounds obvious but I locked myself in there yesterday because of the type of latch we used and wish I had thought of it ahead of time

If anyone would like our rough plans and materials list I’m happy to share! In the end we paid a friend to finish it because we just didn’t have the time and the predators were becoming an issue. It’s a 2 day job if you have the time to do it.

Attachments

• 0A326A32-BBF5-492B-9DD0-C7B689FD6995.jpeg
    0A326A32-BBF5-492B-9DD0-C7B689FD6995.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
We researched and researched some more before drawing up our own plans for a predator proof chicken run, we’ve got a few things left to complete but it’s up and the girls are in and safe!

A few things we learned along the way:

1 - sometimes doing it all yourself is not the best idea
2 - drawing it up on graph paper even if you’re not the best artist helps when creating a materials list
3 - hardware cloth is a must and using 1x4’s or something similar to trim over the staples makes it much easier and less need to be perfect
4 - consider planning for how to get out once you’re in there if the door can latch behind you...I know it sounds obvious but I locked myself in there yesterday because of the type of latch we used and wish I had thought of it ahead of time

If anyone would like our rough plans and materials list I’m happy to share! In the end we paid a friend to finish it because we just didn’t have the time and the predators were becoming an issue. It’s a 2 day job if you have the time to do it.

I got a chuckle out of #4. It reminded me of when DH accidentally locked me in the coop when I was painting the inside. And then he locked me in the run, accidentally of course. A way to get out is almost as important as a way to get in, lol.

Welcome to BYC!

Looks great!
Adding more details and pics during construction is always a good thing.
If you have them post away!

Do you plan on doing some 'winterizing' to keep snow and cold winds out?

Yeah, those latches...would never use them on a tight enclosure.

Nice run, what is that tiny dog house looking thing in there? Lol, I would put up wind blocks/panels on 3 sides and some roosts and get rid of the tiny house.

Gary
Thanks! That is the coop they were being kept in when I rescued them, they use it just for nesting now. The run is just phase 1, we are building an open air coop and hope to be done before winter :)

Welcome to BYC!

Looks great!
Adding more details and pics during construction is always a good thing.
If you have them post away!

Do you plan on doing some 'winterizing' to keep snow and cold winds out?

Yeah, those latches...would never use them on a tight enclosure.

Thank you and thank you! I will post some more pics soon, this is actually just a run the chickens won't be living in there - they will be in a new coop we are in the process of building. Fortunately there was just enough space to fit my fingers and flip the latch but I definitely panicked!! We still have a few things left to finish on this run including the latch issue, tightening up some cracks and crevices and adding a chicken door.

Does your run have a buried skirt to protect against diggers?
Sure does! We ran the hardware cloth around all sides about 12-18 inches out, fortunately the way it worked out we didn’t have to dig much and will just backfill over it this weekend. Our dogs do a decent job of keeping the diggers at bay but we don’t want to take any chances

Nice run! That is exactly what I wanted my hubs to build. In the end we went with a metal carport he just doesn't have the time it would have taken to build this type of run. You guys did a great job. Can't wait to see the new coop.

Back
Top Bottom