Predator Proof Skirt/Run Floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kacey Elle, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Kacey Elle

Kacey Elle Songster

Jun 30, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    I want to make my run as predator-proof as possible and know I need to do a skirt and/or trench and/or cover the floor with something. My question: Can I use the cheaper hog wire for this rather than the more expensive hardware cloth? The only predators I'm worried about in my suburban area are raccoons, opossums, dogs, and hawks. No snakes or weasels or anything that could dig and fit through the larger spaces. I have read that raccoons will grab through the larger holes and pull chickens out but they can't do that up through the ground, right? Like vampires punching through the layer of dirt covering the grave? :barnie

Note: I also plan to do deep litter so there will be an additional foot or so of material over whatever the floor covering is.

2. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    Best to use 1" x 2" welded fencing, not sure what hog cloth is...

JT

aart likes this.
  3. Kacey Elle

Kacey Elle Songster

Jun 30, 2017
    San Jose, CA
  4. Lifewithchicks

Lifewithchicks Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    Texas
    Hog wire is really big, anything can get through it (except for hogs!). The link looks smaller than hog wire but wouldn’t keep out rodents or snakes.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That is 16 ga 2x3 welded wire fencing, should work fine.
    14ga 1x2 would be better tho.

Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

6. Howard E

Howard E Crowing

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Look close and you will see this guy is standing on the apron shown in the link @aart provided..........

SUNP1107.JPG

And just recently, there have been two attempted break ins. These both show that when the digging starts, it is at the base of the wall where vertical and horizontal meet. The wire stops them cold. They never do figure out they need to back up a couple feet and tunnel their way in.

dig 2.jpg dig 1.jpg apron.jpg

7. Nwygle93

Nwygle93 In the Brooder

Feb 14, 2018
    Ohio
    I love love love this! I am better at seeing things, rather than being told them. I get how this works now. I can see the wire along the grass. Do you ever have a problem with the mower nicking it? I could almost see a wheel lifting up a corner as we drive over it :confused:

8. Howard E

Howard E Crowing

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    No worries with the mowers. When I installed it, I hacked the grass down to nearly bare dirt so it would lay flat on the ground, then pinned it in place with 99 cent tent stakes from Walmart. The kind that look like a nail, with an orange plastic end on them. A week or so after installing it, the grass had grown up through it and now I just mow over the top of it. You can also run the weed eater on it with no worries either.

Nwygle93 likes this.
  9. Howard E

Howard E Crowing

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    I still can't believe there are folks who will go to the trouble of digging a trench to bury their wire in the ground. Laying it flat on the ground is about 100X easier and in my mind, more effective to boot.

10. Nwygle93

Nwygle93 In the Brooder

Feb 14, 2018
    Ohio
    Ahh ok, that actually sounds quite easy. Thanks for the tip! I love that the coon is looking in all bummed out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: