Predator proof?

2pekin

In the Brooder
May 29, 2020
image.jpg

Should I be worried about this gap in my ducks home? At the widest point the gap is almost 3 inches wide...the biggest pedator I have to worry about where I live is raccoons.

Where are you at? Weasels & Mink can get through a 1” opening. It would be a good idea for you to google predators in your area. You maybe surprised. I’d cover every opening with hardware cloth. Also you chicken wire a raccoon will reach through an try his best to pull your ducks right through and that is not something you want. I hope.

Where are you at? Weasels & Mink can get through a 1” opening. It would be a good idea for you to google predators in your area. You maybe surprised. I’d cover every opening with hardware cloth. Also you chicken wire a raccoon will reach through an try his best to pull your ducks right through and that is not something you want. I hope.
X4, one attack was enough for me, thus far this spring a coon, a possum and a fox have been dispatched. It’s on like Donkey Kong. Ain’t nothing getting in my ducks house I have electric net during the day, and I’m not worried about anything at night. Don’t underestimate your predators, it hurts to be wrong about them.

Coyotes roam NY city so do raccoons and foxes probably more so than where we live in the country. I guarantee you have more preds than just raccoons but just them is one of the worst and we’ve seen many come on here and tell us how awful it was when they found their ducks mutilated and pulled through the chicken wire in pieces. Go to the predator an pest forum here and ask about how safe chicken wire is.

I live in WA state. My neighbor had a chicken coop with similar chicken wire and a raccoon reached in and killed several chickens. You need 1/4 inch hardware cloth to be predator proof, burying some of it underground for animals that might dig.

x3!

Back
Top Bottom