Predator proofing a prefab coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DrivingGirl, Jun 27, 2011.

1. DrivingGirl

DrivingGirl New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    Hi all, I'm new to BYC and chicken keeping, and I'm looking for some guidance. I'm not handy, so I got a prefab coop for my girls from Precision Pet. It's great, but I think it's far from predator proof. The coop has an attached run around and beneath it, and there's no pop door covering the entrance to the coop. There's a ramp down to the run, but it doesn't raise. And, the floor of the coop is open.

So here's my question: what modifications do I make? My first idea is to staple hardware cloth to the bottom so that the run is enclosed 360 degrees. Is that enough? There's still no way to enclose them in their coop at night; they'll still have access to the run. Do I add a door, or modify the ramp so that I can raise and lower it?

Any advice from those of you more experienced than me is much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Courtenay

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Welcome!

A wire skirt will go a long way to keeping it predator proof. With an open coop part to the run, you'd have what many call a "tractor" style coop.

3. DrivingGirl

DrivingGirl New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    A skirt in addition to covering the floor of the run, or instead of covering it?

4. motochick

motochick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Hi Driving Girl,
    Did you work out the preadator proofing? Did you go with a wire skirt around the perimeter instead of the wire bottom?
    I'm new too, also with a prefab / ebay coop, and I'm already thinking of improvements. I'm planning on doing the wireskirt around a brick foundation to keep rats and raccons out.

How are your girls doing in it? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by