Predator proofing cattle panels used for run?

Soon2BChixMom

Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens
Jan 8, 2017
We were able to set up 3 cattle panels to make a run of sorts for the chickens. The 4th side of the run is a shed that the chicken’s coop is beside. So, basically, I now have a 16’ x 16’ area that can be used as a run.

My question is how do I go about predator proofing it? Do I need to run hardware cloth up the height (4’) of the cattle panels? Should I put it inside or on the outside of the panels? I am planning on creating an apron around the perimeter of the cattle panels as well. They will still be secured in their coop at night, but it would be nice to be able to let them out in this huge area during the day.

We have hawks, so I also need to do something for the top, but not sure what as I still want to be able to walk upright in it.

All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

If they are secure in the coop. I just used 2x4 welded wire on one side of the cattle panel. Wired it on in quite a few places so nothing can push through either way.

A skirt of hardware cloth works well for digging. But I just run a single electric fence wire about 3-5" high and nothing has dug into the run since.

For hawks I have a rope strung up high, pulled tight and then criss crossed masons line or clothes line to get about 1 ft. Squares. Mine is mostly 6 feet high or more. Or else the chickens fly up into it.

With enough space an a little run down hill, I have 1 or 2 that clear a 7 ft high fence. Some breeds don't tend to fly as much.
I have found my EEs are pretty good at getting some elevation, but the orphingtons do little more than hop a couple of feet up and flap a lot.
You can trim their flight feathers too.

Lol at the Orpingtons. I’m guessing mine can fly well as the day they were caught to do the exchange - they were roosting in a tree. But, I’m not sure how they got up there they might of had assistance like porch rails.

I have cattle panels with welded wire on the outside. I have stretched bird netting over the top to keep chickens in and hawks out.
run.jpg

Bird netting is inexpensive and easy to install. I have one area 25' wide, and there's no problem doing that expanse w the netting.

Last edited:
I have cattle panels with welded wire on the outside. I have stretched bird netting over the top to keep chickens in and hawks out.
View attachment 1197479
Bird netting is inexpensive and easy to install. I have one area 25' wide, and there's no problem doing that expanse w the netting.

I don’t have the cattle panels like what you are showing. I have the other type that people use for hoop coops and such. But, this is a great idea. How do you secure the bird netting?

I don’t have the cattle panels like what you are showing. I have the other type that people use for hoop coops and such. But, this is a great idea. How do you secure the bird netting?
Oh, I know what you mean...we have some of those panels too on the front of the run. Our farm was previously used for cattle so we have a lot of the big interlocking panels. The netting, as well as the welded wire is attached with zip ties. Our cat walks across it and it's pretty strong. I'm sure a determined predator could tear thru it, but it hasn't happened in the 2 1/2 years we've used it....(and the chickens do get locked in the coop at night.)
kiki 3 (3 of 1).jpg

Oh, I know what you mean...we have some of those panels too on the front of the run. Our farm was previously used for cattle so we have a lot of the big interlocking panels. The netting, as well as the welded wire is attached with zip ties. Our cat walks across it and it's pretty strong. I'm sure a determined predator could tear thru it, but it hasn't happened in the 2 years we've used it....(and the chickens do get locked in the coop at night.) View attachment 1197487

What an awesome photo!

My in-laws had dairy cattle and they have those fence panels too. I eye all their goodies trying to figure out what I can snag for my chickens. :D

Thanks for the tips!

Cover panels with what ever sized mesh is appropriate for your 'threats'.
Apron is good idea, but I'd go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1 instead of HC, it'll last much longer.

Back
Top Bottom