Predator Proofing my Run - HELP

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jlln, Jan 6, 2017.

1. jlln

jlln New Egg

Jan 6, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Hi, this is my first coop and run. my coop is a solid box, with plenty air holes, a padlocked side i can open to access the coop, and on a platform. i think its secure, if you see something i don't, let me know.

But my main concern is my run. I have a run that is an 8'X8' wooden frame, with chicken wire secured on the top and sides, there is a hole for the door of the coop that wasn't sealed together, but I am going to frame the wire between the coop and the run.

What I worry about with the run, how to stop predators from burrowing into the run.
    Would adding chicken wire to the bottom of the frame be harmful for the chickens if I cover it with soil, hay, wood chips etc.
    Or would apron-ing chicken wire around the outside of the coop work just as well?

Burying them (deeply) isn't an option at the moment because where I am, its winter and the ground is too solid to dig into.

Attached is a picture, thanks!
    And again, I am adding a door to the coop and framing the wire from the coop to the run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Aprons are way easier and maybe even more effective than burying.
    Can lay them right on top of ground if flat or bury a couple inches so mower won't hit them.
    BTW chicken wire is not predator proof, many can chew right thru it.

Coop needs some windows for light and ventilation......do not see the holes you mention.

3. jlln

jlln New Egg

Jan 6, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Thank you for your response! I think I will go the apron route.

Would adding hardware cloth around the sides re-enforce the chicken wire?
    Would you add it to the top as well?

The holes are on the back and side not shown in the images. The coop originally housed ducks.
    I was thinking on adding windows in the spring, what would the best way to do that?

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    The most secure way to add a window would be to have it open into the run area. Look into awning style windows as done that way they keep the rain out.

Hardware cloth added to the chicken wire will help. I personally like 2x 4 welded wire fencing as it is stronger.

I am on my mobile device and my pics are in the desktop. If you like I can post a few pics of what we did and how it works.

5. jlln

jlln New Egg

Jan 6, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Thank you for the advice!

Pics would be lovely if you can. Much appreciated!

6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I have several pics to share on ways to add windows to the little house.
    Please forgive me if there are just way to many. I am rather proud of the work we did for the ladies. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You can see this tiny grow out coop had a window above the door that opened outward. I found this very useful to keep rain out of the pop door.
    [​IMG]
    My large coop has 11 big windows. I was lucky enough to have some 1/4 inch smoked lexan given to us. Using it for the coop made the windows look blacked out lol.
    [​IMG]
    Under construction in this pic but you can see there is hardware cloth going on the inside of the windows. This is easier if one just uses 1x3 boards instead of the giant washers and ends up costing less with wood too.
    [​IMG]
    One of the smaller windows so you can see they are just like a picture frame and held open with a paint stick. The PVC along the bottom is the latch for winter. They are easy to open and close. The eye bolts for the PVC are adjusted to keep the windows closed tight in wind.
    [​IMG]
    On the South side I can open them up wide to let the sun in and the humidity out. This was taken today in single digit temps.
    [​IMG]
    This is on the newest coop that is being used for storage until April. The window is made the same way and I included this pic so you can see the doubled up wire. This is a hoop run with chicken wire covering. I will be adding a third layer of hardware cloth in March in preparation for new chicks.

The other thing I saw with your set up is that if your run does not have a lid that is easy to open it can be extremely difficult for you to get in to tend things.
    These pics are of the broody hen house I made last summer. The way the run opens is super helpful in tending things.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hinged in the middle and can be opened either way. It sits across the top of the run and can be fully removed. Again this was taken in process. Simple door hinges were used to connect the two halves.(one side is actually bigger then the other)
    Scratch that I went back and looked and you do have an access door. Good to include access! Enjoy the pics anyway. Maybe ideas for future coops (one is just never enough [​IMG])
    Lots of ideas and everyone will do things a bit differently. I hope these help getting those creative juices flowing.

OH and who could forget a pic of the ladies.
    [​IMG]

All agree that snow is NOT supposed to be in the run.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  7. Hivoltage

Hivoltage Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    Newark Ohio
    Oh there is going to be snow in the run !!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by