Predator Proofing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CluckyDreams, Apr 13, 2012.

1. CluckyDreams

CluckyDreams Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    What are your best tips for making a coop/run predator proof. We plan on getting chickens in the next two years and are doing our research. I live in Montana. The area we live in has bears, mountain lion, coyote, foxes, hawks, and your run of the mill ground rodents.

I am thinking I will need the run enclosed both on top and bottom (how do I do the bottom?) I know it's not good for the bottom of their cage to be wire, do I bury it?

Also, I don't think chicken wire will keep out mountain lions. Do I double fence it?

Any plans or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. dennin7418

dennin7418 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Sterling, MA
    If you are really concerned about the larger predators you'll probably have to consider an electric fence as a first line of defense. You say within the next 2 years...thats a lot of planning. How many birds are you thinking about getting will help understand what kind of facility you'll need.

3. CluckyDreams

CluckyDreams Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Thanks for your response.

We are currently looking at property on which to build, that's why the large time frame. I can't have them at my current house, so for now just planning. I imagine we will have less than a dozen chickens, so nothing huge. I am just trying to get ideas at this point. Thanks.

4. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Electric fence and a good dog.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by