Predator-proofing...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by emileeg, Aug 16, 2013.

1. emileeg

emileeg New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    Looking for pros/cons of each way to secure the floor from predators that dig.
    Basically, the three methods I've seen (using hardware cloth) are
    A) burying hardware cloth vertically at the perimeter
    B) hardware cloth "apron" or "skirt", or
    C) lining the bottom of the run/coop with hardware cloth, secured to the edges

Do they all work equally well? We've just started our coop project, doing the Wichita coop, but my husband does NOT want to dig trenches to bury hardware cloth/stones/anything (who can blame him?)...

2. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Id say c

3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Here's our version of the Wichita coop. We love it.
    [​IMG]
    But we buried patio stones sideways all around the coop and run. So I'd pick "D" for none of the above[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    A b &c can't be over protected enough in my opinion.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    B is probably the most efficient, stops them right away. And you don't need to use 1/2" HC-tho it will stop all sizes of predators, heavier fencing with 2x4 or smaller mesh will work for most predators

A is no good unless you dig way down, like 2 feet or more, they can dig under pretty far.

C will work but you still have them digging a huge hole until they hit the barrier.

6. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Sadley - As much as he may not want to dig it is very frustrating losing your flock to predators. Even if you dig a thin trench and use wire and cement or rocks and cement. It would be a one time thing and you will not have to be sad at a pile of feathers.

Northing worthwhile is ever easy.

Caroline

7. Gramma5

Gramma5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    We built the coop frame, then individual panels with hardware cloth stapled to it. Then screwed the panels to the coop over the stapled parts. This includes the bottom of the coop/run. Nothing is getting in there that we don't want in there!

This is a coop that we were able to lay on it's side to accomplish this. 4' deep x 8 long (including run) x 6' high.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by