1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Predator Question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mygirls20, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Mygirls20

Mygirls20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    Has anyone ever heard of or tried to use wolf pee to keep coyotes and foxes away? I can get some from my wildlife department out here and was hoping this could be a fix to my serious predator situation

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Do you have adequate physical security? Fencing, apron, hardware cloth? I would ensure that the predator cannot get in before trying to repel it with a scent.

Chris

3. Mygirls20

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    Yes I do but the problem right now is that they are walking right up to me and my 2 and 3 year old daughters. (coyotes and foxes) A neighbor feeds them. So I am trying to find a way to keep them off my property. Someone at the gun store the other day told me if I poured wolf pee on a few trees around my property they wouldnt come on it anymore

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Wow, that is an extremely dangerous situation, especially for the children. I would be having a strong conversation with that neighbor who feeds these animals, animal control and who ever else I needed to to get it stopped. He is creating a nuisance and a dangerous situation for the kids, and that is what you need to really lay on thick to the people who can make him stop. Personally, we'd be shooting every one of the animals that showed up and approached us. I'm sure some would think that's inhumane but to me it's just not worth the risk.

I don't know how successful scent marking will be in keeping them all away, all of the time. Especially when they think they are going to get fed when they approach. I just don't think I'd be ready to rely on that when there are small kids involved.

5. Mygirls20

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    Ya I have already kill one of the really ballsy foxes (the fox already got one of my chickens as well). My husband isnt to happy about me just shooting them cause they are walking up to us. I think I should just shoot them all with my .22 But its just a revolving door new ones will come and I will just be shooting everything all the time [​IMG] I was just trying to find something to keep them off my property and just go to his lol.

I also called animal control and the sheriff they say without picture proof there is nothing they will do about it and that it happens all the time up here in the mountains. They both told me to just shoot whatever is a threat to my family and livestock. Its rather frustrating

6. dirtydozen

dirtydozen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    If your husband is okay with the coyotes and foxes approaching you that is a problem. Is he going to be okay with one of them attacking you or your children? Take the sheriffs advise and shoot them.

7. Mygirls20

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    He doesnt think they will hurt them if I am out there with my kids. Maybe the fox wont the coyote sure as hell will. I am just going to shoot them and not tell him about it. Hopefully we can get a fence put up around our property soon so they will be less likely to get on to it :/

8. ChickenChaser34432

ChickenChaser34432 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    At Liberty Farm
    I bait and put out live traps regularly to keep down #'s of predators on my property. Kill the predators ya legally can and curse the ones ya can't! OH!!! And about the pee... we tried some that was dehydrated in a pouch ya can hang in spots around your property. They worked ok.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  9. Mygirls20

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    lol Nice chickenchaser maybe I can talk my hubby into peeing everywhere. Killing something then pouring pee on it was a good idea then everything smells the dead animal and the thing that marked it and knows not to play around with it. Thinking like a predator now :) I will try it. just dont feel like shooting every single coyote and fox that comes over I have tried shoot them with a BB gun but they dont care lol

10. ChickenChaser34432

ChickenChaser34432 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    At Liberty Farm
    :thumbsup Just glad I could help.teehee but seriously killing preditors in not fun... but they die quicker by your gun, than your chicken does bein eaten alive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by