Predator strike - one hen left. Any chance that she would raise chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by taschutt, Mar 19, 2013.

1. taschutt

taschutt New Egg

Apr 1, 2011
    Hello fellow BYCers,

We had a tragic fox hit last evening, and it took out all except for one hen of our flock (killed 4). We're more than a bit heartbroken about this - both that it happened, and that the remaining hen is now without any of her flock.

So, my wife started wondering aloud if she might turn motherly enough to raise a new set of chicks. Do any of you have experience with this kind of situation, and is this a "pie in the sky" kind of idea, or is there a chance that it would work?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim.

2. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island
    So very sorry for your loss!

Unfortunately I doubt a hen who is not currenty broody will accept chicks. Especially with how stressed and frightened she must be.

If she is broody you may be able to sneak some chicks in under her at night.

If not, I would either get birds big enough to hold their own in with her or get chicks and brood them separately until they are big enough.

She probably is lonely, good luck!

3. ArticStrat

ArticStrat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Sad to hear this. Get that fox outta there!

4. taschutt

taschutt New Egg

Apr 1, 2011
    Thanks for the responses!

Well, I couldn't believe it - when the Mrs. and I got home from work tonight, there was a second one of our ladies wandering around the yard completely fine, complaining loudly that she couldn't get back into the coop. I had assumed last evening that she had been carried away by the fox (or whatever predator it was).

My wife loved the look on my face when I saw her - you could have knocked me over with a feather.

So, although the flock is way down, at least there are two sisters to keep each other company. We feel much better about that. And given the new situation, we'll go the usual route of getting a half dozen chicks and raising them inside for a while until we can move them to the sun porch and finally the yard.

So I have a critter cam set up this evening to see what we're dealing with in case it returns - and the coop is battened down like Fort Knox.

Hoping for some better sleep this eve...

Thanks again,
    Tim

5. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Lol.. I bet she has a story to tell! I am glad you found her before anything else did. I am sure your other girl is happy to have at least one if her friends back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by